Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to format and re-install  (Read 1867 times)

brucegarvin

how to format and re-install
« on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:19 AM »
I have a comuter with windows xp. I bought it used, and did not get a disk with it.

It is totally screwed up with some kind of virus. I want to reformat the hard drive, and re-install Windows (I have a Windows 98 disk).

How do I do that?

Bruce Garvin
[email protected]

GX1_Man

Re: how to format and re-install
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 06:15:55 AM »
What computer make/model and some details about it please. Some newer machines do not have win98 drivers, so it could not be entirely functional.

Mystik1982

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:06:51 AM »
Does it have the XP product key anywhere on the computer?   <--------Be sure of this before doing any downloads, this is the most important part.  There may be a sticker with the product key on it.

If so go here for all you need to do an XP fresh install.  I believe you have to make a $4 donation though.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

They have a download on the site below for the 6 Windows XP Home installation disks.  Be sure to get the one called MS Windows XP Home SP1

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Does the computer boot into Windows at all?

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »
Do not buy anything, there is no need!!!
If you already own an XP CD, the procedure is simple.
Place the XP CD in the drive and boot from it. Follow the prompts through for a fresh install and elect to format the drive at the appropriate stage.

If you don't have an XP CD or don't want to install XP, then all you need is a suitable bootdisk. Give more info on what you want to do exactly and I'll supply full instructions.