Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring files from a crashed computer  (Read 2586 times)

chicagorob1

Transferring files from a crashed computer
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:51 AM »
I had a Dell 4550 for several years. I have my OS and programs on one drive and most of my files on a second drive. It's worked well until Windows crashed for the 3rd time a couple of weeks ago. I decided I needed a new computer anyway, so I ordered a Dell XPS 400.

The problem is, I've been trying to get the old computer up long enough to pull my files off. I can't get the computer to recognize my mouse, keyboard or CD drives. When I run the Windows re-installation CD it seems to go berserk and locks the computer up.I bought Aloha Bob with the new PC, but it needs to be installed on both machines to work.

Do I just need to pull the old hard drives and slave them into the new system to at least pull off my files? Will that work? and most importantly, HOW DO I DO THAT?

What other options do I have? My 2005 taxes and a lot of other important stuff is on those drives.

THANK YOU!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Transferring files from a crashed computer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:10:46 AM »
Do I just need to pull the old hard drives and slave them into the new system to at least pull off my files? Will that work?
Yup.

When your new PC arrives, lets assume it has just one hard drive.  Remove the hard drive from your old computer.  Set the jumper on that hard drive from "master" to "slave" - there's usually a diagram on the hard drive itself that shows the correct position.  Find the wide, flat cable on the new computer that goes to your new hard drive.  There may be a spare plug on it.  Alternatively, it may also be connected to a CDROM drive.  You can remove the plug from the CDROM if so.

Insert that plug into your old hard drive.  Find a spare power connector (that's the other plug that goes to the hard drive) and plug it in.

When you next switch the computer on, you'll probably need to go into the BIOS (press F2/delete repeatedly) and aout-detect the hard drives, so that they are correctly reported to your new operating system.

You do not incidentally need to physically attach the old hard drive to the new PC.   So long as it is near horizontal or near vertical, and the leads aren't strained, you can rest it on a pile of books.  Just make sure the circuit board on the underside isn't shorted.

Then boot into Windows.  Transferring the files from that point on is just a matter of drag-and-drop.

Having secured your files, you can almost certainly rescue your old Dell, with a full reinstallation of Windows.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:12:13 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Mystik1982

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »
What version of Windows was on the crashed computer?  Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP?

Have you tried booting using safe mode?  

chicagorob1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 08:39:14 AM »
The old system was XP SP2. I always try make sure I'm on the latest version of software. I attempted a Safe Mode boot, but that doesn't even work. The system asks me to choose which instance of Windows I need to run (C: or D:, neither of which are correct) and then asks me for the Administrator password. I can never get past that......