Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows2000/No Boot Up  (Read 4875 times)

Neo1134

Windows2000/No Boot Up
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:13:56 AM »
A little while ago, I bought a barebones kit from TigerDirect (the Manufacturer is Wintergreen Sys). A few months later, I smelled smoke coming from the back of the computer and then the monitor turned itself off. The power still comes on when I turn the computer on. The CD drives still have power, but not my floppy drive. The Power and Activity lights still come on, but no visual on my monitor. No POST either. I have sent the Motherboard and Video Card back the following to their manufacturers since then, and when I got replacement parts, the computer was still doing the same thing. I tried switching the power supply and had my memory tested at a local repair shop, but I still have no visual on my monitor.  My monitor works fine when I hook a different computer up to it, so I don't think that's the problem. If anyone here has any ideas of what could be wrong, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
      Neo1134

GX1_Man

Re: Windows2000/No Boot Up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:53:59 AM »
You may want to take the whole machine to the shop. It sounds like several potential problem areas.

How about booting with just the CPU/FAN Mobo, RAM and video? Does anything happen? Any beep codes? Are there any jumpers that need to be set on the mobo?

When you rebuilt the machine the floppy drive still did not have power? You made it sound like an identical problem.

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
Smoke cming from a machine does not sound good. Have you any idea where it was coming from?
Strip the machine down and connect only a keyboard, a known good graphics card (PCI preferably) and one known good stick of memory. Before switching on, reset the BIOS via the CMOS jumper.
If it boots now, add one item at a time starting with more memory, graphics card, floppy drive, hard drive, CD etc until it fails. If and when it does, you've either found your bad component or overloaded your PSU.

Neo1134

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:04:02 PM »
Hmm... ok guys. I am going to give it to a computer repair place. I've tried everything that I and several other people could think of but nothing has worked.

Thank You For Your Assistance,
            Neo1134