Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with one of my PC's surround speakers  (Read 2325 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Problem with one of my PC's surround speakers
    « on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
    I've got a problem with one of the surround speakers that I've got with our Dell Dimension 8200 2.51ghz PC.  The right rear speaker has got a problem.  I can hear sound coming out of the tweeter, but nothing comes out of the woofer.  Would there be any way to get the woofer to work?  These are Altec Lansing speakers, and the model of the set is ADA-995.  I don't want to have to get a new set.  Might have to eventually.  Also, sometimes when I have the right rear speaker plugged into the subwoofer like the other four speakers are (left front, left rear, right front and center), I hear a strange light popping sound coming out of the left rear, and sometimes the right front.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Problem with one of my PC's surround speakers
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:50:25 AM »
    Did you ever configure your speaker settings after installing them? I had a problem where 3 speakers woulnd't work... Do this... Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Under Speaker Settings, click on Advanced. A box will now appear. Play around with these controls to adjust how many speakers you have, and how powerful they are. If all the speakers do not show up, they will not work.

Flame

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Problem with one of my PC's surround speakers
      « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »
      I can further tell you about my problem, Flame, since I know it's not the soundcard settings that will help with this issue (I mean, I'm able to get accurate surround sound just fine; I've actually got a speaker problem).  When my computer is off, but my speaker system is on (there's a power control on the back of the subwoofer), I always hear a quiet sound coming out of each of the speakers, that doesn't change with any setting I have, which indicates that the speakers are functioning to me. One of the speakers, the right rear speaker, has got a problem.  The tweeter works fine, but the woofer doesn't emit any noise at all, or if I hear any sound when I play music or a wave file, the sound comes out very weak regardless of any settings.  I've since removed the speaker until it can be looked at.  There's a component loose in it.