Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound in DVD playback on Win Media Player  (Read 3688 times)

Jeffsname

No sound in DVD playback on Win Media Player
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:48:33 AM »
About 6 months ago I inadvertently removed the video decoder from my PC. I then downloaded and installed InterVideo DVD XPack for Windows XP. Using this I was able to play movie DVDs without any problems. However, since then, when trying to play these in Windows Media Player 9 or 10, or in RealPlayer, I can only see the picture without any sound, although music CDs play perfectly ok. My PC is running on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility shows Installed MPEG-2 decoders as:
InterVideo Video Decoder, IVIVIDEO.ax version 5.0.11.704,
MP10 Compatible, MCE Compatible and set as Preferred Decoder.

However, entering dvdupgrd /detect in the run function shows the following:
DShow SW:
Name: CLPPVSD.ax version 5.0.0.1031
Cyberlink Corporation
CRC32: 0x8a2d86b2
VID: 2
W2k Upgrade = no
Win9x Upgrade = no
LCID = 0809

Can anyone please advise me on what I should do to be able to hear movie DVDs in Windows Media Player?

I have limited, self-taught computer knowledge.

Regards,
Jeff.

Backdated

Re: No sound in DVD playback on Win Media Player
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:04:49 PM »
Theoricas The Codecs package should put you right. Download the 5M version for full compatibility.

Jeffsname

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
Thanks, Backdated, for your kind response.

Theroica says: Before installing the Codec 3.0 Package (5,850KB) uninstall previously installed codecs (Divx, Xvid, etc.).
Being a little unsure, I would welcome any advice on how to do this uninstall, and presumably I should make a Restore Point before actually doing anything?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the DirectX diagnostic tool shows that my PC has DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) and all the self tests show no faults, especially on the sound tests in mono and stereo in both 8-bit 22KHz and 16-bit 22KHz.

Also, perhaps I should have said earlier, in my first posting, that playing DVD movies in WMP used to work ok until I had a problem with Power Director video editing and a technician at Cyberlink told me that after uninstalling it (prior to a reinstall) to go into the Registry and delete the Cyberlink Folder from Software in both LOCAL_MACHINE and LOCAL_USER. I soon found out that doing this also seemed to have deleted my Cyberlink PowerDVD, which disappeared. From this point on my problem started.

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »
Set a restore point and uninstall anything of any relevance. Now install the Theorica package.
PowerDvD provided the codec that you need and deleting it also removed the codec. You may find it easier to simply reinstall PoweDvD.

Jeffsname

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:26:29 AM »
Many thanks, Backdated,
Took your advice and deleted DivX, the only codec I could find in the Add/Remove function in Control Panel, then downloaded and installed the Codec 3.0 Package, and hey-presto everything seems to be working ok and I can now watch and LISTEN to movie DVDs and music CDs in WM Player and RealPlayer.

By-the-way, I couldn't reinstall PowerDVD as it came pre-installed on my PC.

Best regards,
Jeff.

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 06:34:12 AM »
Theoricas full package is very good and above all, free and clean.