Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD Temperatures  (Read 2857 times)

Raptor

AMD Temperatures
« on: August 16, 2004, 02:37:20 PM »
I am creating this topic because I am very interested in what the people here (That have an AMD processor installed) do to keep their processor running cool.

I understand that 60 degrees celcius is an accepted minimum temperature by many AMD users (Including technical support) but this does bother me.

It seems like no matter what kind of cooler I install (Zalman, Glacialtech, standard AMD or a Coolermaster) it still seems to circulate around 60 degrees celcius. System temperature is at 40 degrees celcius and ambient temperature at 26.8

I would like to know what kind of attempts people have made to cool their processor and what kind of equipment they used.

I currently have installed:

1 Q-tec case fan (Blowing out)
1 disconnected Q-tec fan that blows in (Obstructed airflow due to massive amounts of cables and a far too large videocard)
1 Aero 7 Lite by Coolermaster with Arctic Silver
1 malfunctioning Northbridge fan (Only the heatsink works,  Fan keeps rattling like a rattlesnake on steroids)
1 ATi/Radeon 9800Pro (With a small fan + heatsink)
1 Chieftec 420 Watt Dual fan silent PSU (Which seems to become much warmer than my Qtec 400 Watt dual fan silent PSU)

and my temperatures are:

System: 40 Degrees Celcius
CPU: 63 Degrees Celcius
Ambient: 26.8 (At 2232 during somewhat of a summer.)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: AMD Temperatures
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »
    Raptor......I have a AMD Athalon 1.7 in one of my pcs.
    I just checked the temps .......
    Processor temp ..........35.4 C
    Hard drive temp ..........45 C
    Aux power temp ..........40.2 C
    Ambient temp...............26 C
    I have one side panel off right now.

My other pc has a P3 600 in it and its temp is 32.6 C

Both my pc's run 24 ...7

Perhaps check your processor and see if there is a real good positive connection between the chip and the heat sink......and is there sufficient thermal paste to enable good heat transfer. Also check the heat sink for any dust buildup.
    I would also consider changing the heatsink fan it could be the problem.

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 03:29:36 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

Re: AMD Temperature
    « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:02:33 AM »
    The CPU and CPU Fan are brand new, it's not a matter of dust settling in.  It has even got some Arctic Silver applied ontop of the standard CPU paste (Which was more of a patch rather than paste). It takes some time for the arctic silver to properly work.

It's just that 60 degrees celcius are 'reasonable' temperatures for an AMD processor. I am just wondering what people do to go below that.

I suggest you put the side panel back on, it only causes more dust to be sucked in. If I put my sidepanel off, my computer is about 10 degrees cooler.

How do you measure your harddrive and auxiliary temperatures?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »
      Raptor......I use a little utility called PC Wizard 2004.....
      http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3846.html
      It gives you a lot of info on your system.
      Yes you are right about the side panel.......However I keep a can of "Ultra Duster" ( compressed air ) handy to keep the dust away .
      The info you will see dislayed by pc wizard will depend on what type and number of sensors your motherboard has......but it a excellant utility......there a many available I just use this one.

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:09:48 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 02:06:34 PM »
      I have tried that PC Wizard 2004 before, it made my sensors go haywire and report temperatures over 80 degrees. Which in turn made my PC speaker go mental.
      It was not a very pleasant sight.

I'll stick to Sisoft sandra.

You recommended me what you just wrote quite a while back, when I first joined the forum.

This was not a cry for help, I am interested in what other AMD users do to keep their processor cool.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 02:56:55 PM »
      you all need this>http://www.cpuidle.de/