Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D-Link Router  (Read 2800 times)

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
    D-Link Router
    « on: February 27, 2006, 07:12:08 AM »
    Hi,

I'm considering the D-Link di704p Router.  It's got an integrated printer server, however, I'm using an Epson multi-fuction print/scan/copy device.  

As far as I know, D-Link uses its own software for printers, rather than the software that comes with the printer.  Will it work with a multi-funtion device such as mine?  

In other words, will D-Link's software enable me to use the scanner function of the device?

pg
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:14:07 AM by peergynt »

Backdated

Re: D-Link Router
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:50:31 AM »
    What does D-Link support say?

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
      Support doesn't say anything about multi-function devices.  That's why I posted here.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
      Did you e-mail or call their number? It may not be listed because it is a non-issue. Best to make sure.

racealoot

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 11:48:50 AM »
      isnt it better to use the  printer off one of the computers and then share that to the network.? Well i guess it depends on what you want to to with it. Do you jsut want to have access to it form other computers or what are you trying to do with it?

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 05:15:19 AM »
        Hi!

Thanks for the replies.  I did call the service number, but they didn't know the answer -- as I suspected :-/  However, I did find something on the D-link site that stated I can use the printer's own software to steer it.  The document I read previously must have been outdated because it stated that only the D-Link router software could be used.  That's what got me worried about this in the first place.

I though about setting-up my Windows 2000 Server as a domain controller and running the printer from it.  But then I'd need to have the server running all the time.  Normally, I only need it for the database when I'm programming or when I'm saving files to the machine.

In worst case, I could connect it directly to one of my workstations.  It would just be a pain to switch from one machine to the next all the time.  I might just buy the router and try it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 06:40:33 AM »
        I have a D-Link router and it requires nothing above the printer software to work correctly.  ;)

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 07:06:29 AM »
          Sounds good.

I assume you have a 'wired' router, not a 'wireless', am I right?

The thought crosses my mind whether I should get a combo wired/wireless.  Seems like the encryption and MAC filtering on most newer models would provide adequate security for wireless connections.

I'd probably just get a seperate print server and hook it into one of the LAN ports.  Decisions, decisions...

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »
          It is a wireless router with 4 ports for wired connections as well. I believe a DI-524? It is a few years old but is a wirless G model.