Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing d drive  (Read 2211 times)

JoAnn

missing d drive
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:01:04 PM »
hi i have a presario 5062. just upgraded from windows 98 to 98se. after that the cd rom went out. we replaced it and now there is no d drive and we cant find any sign of cd rom in the device manager. when windows starts it says

device driver not found: mscd001
No valid cd rom device driver selected.

C:\> rem LH \cdrom mscdex \ D:msc0000

we found the correct driver for the cd rom but still nothing. any help at all would be apprishiated. thank you  :-[

GX1_Man

Re: missing d drive
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »
Perhaps when it was installed it was not jumpered correctly. Does is show up in the BIOS? If not then pull it out and check the jumpers (on the back by the data cable).

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:42:50 AM »
So you have one hard drive (on IDE1) and 1 CD drive (on IDE 2). Each is on it's own cable? Check the old drive to see how it was jumpered, if you haven't disposed of it.

JoAnn

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 02:38:57 PM »
i took the cd rom out and saw that it was jumpered on slave. the old cd rom was jumpered on master so i changed the new one to master as well.  now when the new cd rom is connected the computer will power but only stay at the Compaq logo with a blinking line in the top left corner. also the power light on the cd rom dosent light up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:13:25 PM by JoAnn »

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
I'm guessing that the BIOS sees it as SE was probably installed from CD.
The likelihood is that you need secondary IDE device drivers or perhaps a ROMPaq for your machine:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=92986&dlc=en&os=20