Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AVI help  (Read 2769 times)

zart

AVI help
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:41:41 AM »
(apologies if this is in the wrong forum).
I've just uploaded a bunch of avi files through video factory.  everything worked fine for about a week but now when I open the files it will only open the audio part of it.  I've downloaded the latest windows media player, and real player.  I can't open the files in Premiere because it can't recognise them.  And when I open them in video factory I only get an audio track.  It won't even let me burn them to disc as it won't recognise the file.  This has happened to every AVI file on my pc.  I used my ipod and moved some of the files to another computer and they worked fine (so they are not corrupted).  The only thing I uploaded during the week was some other video clips, (quicktime, MP4) and they work fine.  Does anyone have any ideas what happened?  Any info would be much appreciated.  thanks.

Backdated

Re: AVI help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:42:45 AM »
You need The-Codecs. Grab the full version rather than the lite version.

zart

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:51:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I downloaded the codecs and I'm now able to watch the clips through media player (yay!) but am still unable to open them in Video factory, premiere, etc.  Do you think the clips may have gotten corrupted somehow?

Thanks again for the info. It was much appreciated. :) I'm happy that I can at least watch the clips!

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
They probably need converting to the correct format for opening in your applications. The avi extension is a "cover all" for a whole host of differently encoded filetypes. A small utility called, and I kid you not, G-Spot will analyse avi files and return their actual encoding method.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 08:39:07 AM by Backdated »

zart

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:54:57 AM »
thanks again for the info.  I downloaded g-spot ;D and it basically said the files were cool as an AVI file.  yet they still won't open with premiere or video factory.  i tried them with NERO and it worked fine.  I'm thinking my copies of video factory and premiere might be busted and might just reinstall them.

thanks again.  you've been a great help.