Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sata hard drive  (Read 2671 times)

jjon

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    sata hard drive
    « on: March 03, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »
    [size=12][size=20][size=16]i have a wd sata hd. i used it in another pc and had no problem installing it and putting the xp upgrade os on. it was a lan party mobo.
    now i want to put it in my soyo mobo. i cleaned it out w/fdisk, installed it in the soyo and it will not recgognize it at all. i did a lot of reading from soyo and w digital and they all say a lot of different things on how to get the drivers on. i didn't have to do that with the l party.  they say it needs formatted first. how can you format a drive that isn't there? i formatted it with the win 2000 in the old pc and stopped it before set up of 2000, but that didn't work, it still won't see it in there. can someone start me from scratch? isn't there floppy disk program to format winn 2000 and xp? or are they just on the setup disk?
    thanks in advacne if anyone can help.[/size]    :-/
    blessings,

GX1_Man

Re: sata hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »
    You boot with the XP CD and then F6 and insert the SATA driver diskette when prompted.

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »
    That is of course the SATA controller driver which should be available on the motherboard companion CD.
    If a floppy drive isn't available, then you've got some work to do!

As a slight aside to this, virtually every "floppyless" system that I've seen does in fact have a floppy controller on board. For the sake of a bit of peace and quiet, I usually fit a floppy drive where the case has provision.

To use an upgrade CD, you'll need a Win98 CD or similar to verify previous ownership.
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:25:40 PM by Backdated »

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 05:30:38 AM »
    You say you downloaded RAID array drivers but it's a SATA array that you have?
    What motherboard is this exactly?

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »
    You are booting from the SATA array rather than IDE aren't you?