Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD System File  (Read 2222 times)

MARRON

HD System File
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:25:35 PM »
I have 2 HD in my computer (Dell 8100). The slave drive, which was working well up to yesterday, would not accept any data eventhough it was only 35% full. In addition when I called up a file from the slave drive it opened but when I went to save it, it would not save, computer froze. I tried to reformat the drive but at the end of the format I got a message that the format could not complete. All the data was erased from the drive but it will not accept any new data. I get a message which asks if I want to complete the format, I answer yes but then I get a message that the format cannot complete. The drive originally had a FAT 32 System File. The System File now reads RAW or is blank depending on how I try to access the disk. My other drive has NTSF System File.

Do you think the drive is salvageable? If so how do I proceed?

Thanks  :(

GX1_Man

Re: HD System File
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »
You can download free diagnostics to run from the appropriate manufacturer's web site. The RAW message is not a good one.  :'(

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1122425778

IT-Guy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
Since you're to the point of reformatting and not worrying about data loss... having a raw disk isn't so bad...   The thought of you having your root drive as NTFS and your slave as FAT32 might be an issue.. but I'm not sure about that... you can always goto Disk management and repartition and format the disk as it should be...  One thing to remember is that once you format a disk NTFS, it doesn't like to be reverted back to FAT.  If I were you, I'd just make them both NTFS.  If you have trouble getting the partitioning or formatting to work.. try downloading the demo version of Partition Doctor Pro.

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »
Have you run chkdsk on this drive?
Can you access it via a Win98 type bootdisk and run Fdisk etc? Be very careful that you operate on the correct drive!