Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Java Updates - request to download: is this Okay?  (Read 3011 times)

GinnyinSeattle

Java Updates - request to download: is this Okay?
« on: March 04, 2006, 11:48:25 PM »
Every once in a while, I get notification that tells me "Ready to Download - Java Updates. Updates are available to be dowloaded to your computer by Java Update. For optimal security and performance, it is recommended that you download these updates now.    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, and J2SE Runtime Environment 1.5.0_06-b05"    I have no idea what Java Updates are, although I suspect that it's nothing I really need or want.  Is this a Microsoft-driven intrusion, or a valid download?  Am I being overly suspicious?   :-/  Thanks for anyone's experience with this message!!

GX1_Man

Re: Java Updates - request to download: is this Ok
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:35:23 AM »
It's not Microsoft, but rather an update to the Java you installed from somewhere to run some program. Look in Add/Remove Programs for Java Runtime Environment or JRE. You'll see something there, I'm sure.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »
    It should not be dangerous. Java is required to view some of the web contents.
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:37:44 PM »
    That Java comes from Sun Microsystems.  For info and/or to update, visit http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
    Here's an example of a web page which requires Java; this page is for testing Internet connection speed for broadband (cable or DSL) users.  To run the test, the Start button must be clicked on.  It will not work unless Java is installed.