Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS wont go to SETUP  (Read 5763 times)

jlapolla

Re: BIOS wont go to SETUP
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
After I replaced the PS, MB and RAM, it booted to BIOS fine, but when it tried to load WinXP from the HD, the splash scrren appears, then it goes to the error screen that allows you to go to Safe Mode, then cycles back to the BIOS screen.

SO, I loaded the eMachines Recovery Disks. That made no difference. (someone told me that once I changed the MB, the Recovery disks are worthless)

Then I tried my WinXP Home upgrade disk. (already licensed to another PC) BINGO! Everything loaded, and best I can see, it all works.  My only problem is that I need an XP activation code.  Its not worth another $100 to buy a new WinXP.  So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
THoughts?

thanks
John

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »
    W2K is a better & cheaper alternative,... much cheaper. :)

Backdated

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 07:02:12 AM »
    Reinstalled the HD in my dead system, Used the eMachines Restore CD to reinstall WinXP.......

Of course it made no difference. The restore CD is for the original motherboard and as such, it's bin fodder!
    You need a full OS installation CD.

IT-Guy

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 08:53:41 AM »
    No... Windows 2000 is not better... not by a long shot.  XP Home edition cannot be used on two separate PC's and once licensed for one .. you'd have to call Microsoft to get a new key in order to even upgrade the hardware with more than 3 components.  I suggest you look back to see why one xp disc worked and the other didn't... Maybe something changed now and you can try the old one again.

jlapolla

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 10:37:11 AM »
    IT... Sorry for the confusion... What I meant originally is that after fixing the hardware problems, when I booted, XP would start to RUN off the HD, the Windows splash would appear briefly, then it would cycle back to the BIOS screen.  I assume this was all because the MB had changed, and the XP load on the HD was all for the original MB.

Reinstalling XP from the original eMachines Recovery disks did not work because I had changed the MB.  

As soon as I did a clean install from my WinXP Home upgrade CD, everything worked. (I assume the upgrade worked because it found legacy Windows files on the HD.)

So, now my big dilema is whether its worth another $100 to buy a fresh copy of XP to install!

IT-Guy

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »
    Ah.. I C.  You might spend the money and get a copy of the new windows then... Windows Vista.

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 01:54:57 PM »
    Ah.. I C.  You might spend the money and get a copy of the new windows then... Windows Vista.

Vista is not even available for 9 more months. No solution there.  ::)

I would also be interested in your research as to how XP is superior to Win2000?

Backdated

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
    Even if it was available now, I don't think I'd bother for a while. In fact, from what I've seen of Vista, I don't think I'll be bothering at all.
    Little Billy and his mates seem determined to push everyone down the Linux road.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 06:41:37 PM »
      No comment :-X who am I to question an IT-Guy, he must be right.
      Look at his tagline, he knows stuff.
      "I'll go see if any of the other Smurfs are in need of my expert advice. I'm sure they'll all be grateful for my help. After all, where would any of them be without me, [highlight]Brainy Smurf[/highlight], to help advise and guide them as to the best way to smurf about their business?"

Back to the OP, you should be able to get a W2K disk for next to nothing.