Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cheapest dell supporting dual monitors?  (Read 4159 times)

citardauq

cheapest dell supporting dual monitors?
« on: March 05, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »
(was "buying a new computer...")

I'd like to buy a computer capable of a dual monitor setup (specifically two Dell 2001FP's), and this is the part that's really confusing me.

Dell's Dimension B110 model seems to use the "Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2", which I guess is NOT capable of a dual monitor setup.  Is this accurate?

Dell's Dimension E310 model seems to use the "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900", which I think IS capable of dual monitor setup.  What confuses me though is that the pictured model only seems to have one slot in the back (the dark blue one), so I'm not sure how I would actually plug in the second monitor.

thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: cheapest dell supporting dual monitors?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
I would contact Dell Sales  :)

Flame

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 11:19:14 AM »
Neither of those computers are a good choice if you want to use dual monitors.  The basic problem with them is that they use intergrated graphics, and neither of them has slots for PCI Express video cards, or even AGP cards.  Either computer might support dual monitors if you installed one or two PCI video cards; a single card configuration would require a card designed to support two monitors.

I run dual monitors.  I have two video cards installed, one AGP and one PCI.

How do you want to use dual monitors?  Do you want to be able to clone the primary monitor on the second monitor?  Is you primary interest being able to have different apps on the two monitors?  I can not clone; a single card that supports two monitors is required for cloning.  That's not an issue for me since I don't care about cloning.  My purpose is to run different apps on different monitors; my two card configuration does this well but, as far as I know, single cards that support multiple monitors work equally well for this purpose.

citardauq

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »
I am not interested in cloning.  So to be clear, I CAN use dual monitors with the Dimension B110 as long as I buy two PCI video cards and install them?  It seems to me like this is the cheapest option.

thanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »
That should work, but I suggest you call Dell's sales folks to confirm that.  Of course, I'm sure they'll try  to sell you a higher priced computer.  

By the way, Dell has a user forum.  Might be a good idea to register and ask your question there.  

I just saw something YOU SHOULD SEE; PNY Geforce FX5500 VCGFX55PPB Video Card - Retail  This card supports two monitors.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 01:37:23 PM by soybean »

IT-Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 10:29:54 AM »
One thing you overlooked is the fact that if you get a Dell that claims to support dual displays (which most do these days), all you need is the Y connector which comes with the PC.