Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2000- can't find personal folders or pab  (Read 4730 times)

lou_tre

Outlook 2000- can't find personal folders or pab
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:17:54 AM »
I recently upgraded to a new XP system.  I mounted my old hard drive on new system and copied Documents and Settings to new drive.  Outlook doesn't see my old personal folders (pst), my address book (pab) or my junkmail filters(rwz).  Where should the files be located so that Outlook can see them.

bdetchevery

Re: Outlook 2000- can't find personal folders or p
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:27:33 AM »
Can you open up Outlook at all?

If so go to File..Open..Personal Folders File... Then navigate to wherever the PST file is stored
(I think the default is something like C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook or C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (your PAB file and rules is probably there to).

If you can't get into outlook try copying the files from your old drive to the locations above and then opening your outlook

Replace "UserName" with your user login name.

Hope this helps,

Brad D.

backtheFup

Re: Outlook 2000- can't find personal folders or p
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »
You must be able to view Hidden Files and Folders to access the Local Settings folder to get these items through Explorer.

From a Command Promtpt at the root of the drive to recover from:
[highlight]dir *.pst /s[/highlight]
This will show you where all PST files are that are available to you.  If you were previously using NTFS you may have to reset permissions to get to that infomartion.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 12:23:34 AM by backtheFup »