Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: uh oh.  (Read 2566 times)

computer_handicapped

uh oh.
« on: August 18, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
 :-[ :-Xokay, i've got a big problem. i'm not too smart w/ computers, so i need help asap.

well the thing is, i was trying to put in a cd-rom drive in my brothers computer so i can burn a cd... but i was too lazy and didnt turn on the computer before i plugged it in. So when i plugged in the white cord (w/ the red, yellow and black wires attached to it.. not too familiar w/ the computer lingo)... a spark ignited and the computer shut off... it wont turn on again. ???  :-[ :-X

HELP!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: uh oh.
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »
    computer_handicapped......Oh .....Oh looks like you've got some splainin to your bro.......Exactly where was the spark that you say ignited ? Would it be safe to assume that there was already one cd rom in the pc and you were putting in a second one? Did you remember to set the jumper to either slave or cable select ? I also assume you meant you were too lazy to turn the pc off because if it was off you've really got problems .....
    Did you unplug the 2nd cd drive and try to reboot the pc ?
    please let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

Re: uh oh.
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 11:32:41 PM »
    new mobo please....you may be lucky and you may have blown the psu<inside the psu is a varisister which just like a fuse really>...the plug you were refering to is  a power lead which come from the psu to the cdom drive hardive etc .... check to see if  all the main fuses are in tact first or borrow or buy another psu....
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:33:28 PM by merlin_2 »