Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: random BSoD  (Read 2157 times)

magic_plank

random BSoD
« on: March 04, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »
Since I bought my computer late december, I have had around 10 BSoDs. The computer previous to this I had used regularly for 2 1/2 years and only ever had one or two, so that is why I am a tad worried.

My computer is running XP sp2
1gb ram
pentium 4

it says a load of stuff saying you may have a virus etc. etc. but the important but says

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

It appears to happen at random intervals... I have no viruses that Norton can detect, but the thing is, if i find something suspicious, it could take months to tell wether it worked or no.

The random timing is keeping me on edge!

Please help

GX1_Man

Re: random BSoD
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 05:00:04 PM »
For some reason I am thinking I already discussed this issue with you. 2 things:

1) You have Norton, obviously
2) Do you have a VIA IDE controller?

Also you may want to google for this error message.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »
Wooden:

There are many causes of this error (also known as the STOP: 0X000000D1 error).  Will you give us more specifics?  Did you install any new software (for example, a Sygate firewall) or add any new hardware just before the stop errors began to occur?  Does this happen when you start, or when you shutdown, or while you are using the computer?

Microsoft suggest as many as 600 causes of the error:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPIC,HPIC:2006-07,HPIC:en&q=0x000000d1+Windows+XP+site%3Amicrosoft%2Ecom

If you give us more information, we may eliminate some of these possible cause and hopefully find the cause and solution to your BSOD problem.

Doc
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 05:09:18 PM by pcdoc4christ »

magic_plank

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »
gx1,
an whatta what? whats a via ide controller?
sorry for being noobish  :o
In response wether the stop errors occured after installing new hard/software, Its been going on about once every week or two since I bought it so I don't think its anything that could be traced.

UPDATE:
2 minutes ago I had another stop error. i'm not sure if these are related, the screen read "BAD_POOL_CALLER" and microsoft recovery doodah said:

Error type Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take       :       Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:54:50 PM by magic_plank »

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »
The "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"  error generally points to a NIC being faulty or a bad driver for a NIC. This isn't always the case though.
What CD burning software is installed and what version?

magic_plank

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »
My NICs not in use
Im using a USB wireless adapter
Im using RecordNow 7.3

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 01:56:13 PM »
Remove any installed drivers for the NIC. If the NIC is onboard, disable it via the BIOS. If it's an addin card, remove it.
What anti virus/anti malware protection do you have in place?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 05:38:24 AM »
Wooden:

There are many causes of this error (also known as the STOP: 0X000000D1 error).  Will you give us more specifics?  Did you install any new software or add any new hardware just before the stop errors began to occur?  Does this happen when you start, or when you shutdown, or while you are using the computer?

Microsoft suggest a few hundred possible causes of the error:  

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=HPIC%2CHPIC%3A2006-07%2CHPIC%3Aen&q=0x000000d1+DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL+Windows+XP+site%3Amicrosoft.com&btnG=Search

If you give us more information, we may eliminate some of these possible cause and hopefully find the cause and solution to your BSOD problem.

Doc
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 05:43:52 AM by pcdoc4christ »

magic_plank

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:33:10 PM »
Trying to find the problem is like a needle in a haystack.
Will a system restore do any good?

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Have you disabled/removed the NIC?

magic_plank

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »
I removed the expansion card
I have had two BS0D today!!