Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just One Page  (Read 17918 times)

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Just One Page
    « on: March 10, 2006, 09:44:14 AM »
    Hi guys.

I have just bought a domain from a company, but all I am looking to do with it, is to host one really simple webpage.
    The cheapest the company (where I bought the domain) could offer me was there basic starter hosting package which is £34 (approx $50) for the year. I know this isn't much, but because I only need a very small amount of space, I wondered if there was an even easier and cheaper way to get around this.

Many thanks for any replies posted.
    Kop442000

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Just One Page
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:26:04 PM »
    The cheapest way, if you're already on broadband, is to host the web page on your own computer.  Does that idea interest you?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »
      You can do that? How?
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
      Simply run a web server. Of course, it means that your machine must be running 24/7 and a good portion of your bandwidth may be consumed.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »
      There's just a little bit more to it than that, and I'm not sure the word "simply" is entirely appropriate in this context.   ;)

If you don't have a static IP address, you'll need access to a dynamic DNS service such as that provided by dyndns.org.  Even if you have a static IP address, the DynDNS services allow you to convert that into something more memorable than numbers.  E.g. I use pcproblemsolver.dyndns.biz.

If you run a web server within your home (or business) network and set up your router/firewall to allow traffic to reach it, the outside world can access your personal web site by that means.  Doing things on a low budget, I would recommend running Apache rather than Microsoft's very poor Personal Web Server.  Apache is free for download, and is very fast and well suited to almost all web purposes.

Yes, you will probably need to keep your web server and ADSL connection on permanently, but I think that still works out cheaper than most hosting options.  And you can upgrade your web service for free - e.g. by adding PHP and MySQL, something that ISPs often charge extra for.

As for bandwidth, remember we're talking about upstream bandwidth here, i.e. from your computer outwards.  Your broadband will typically be 1Mbps downstream (towards you) but much less than this upstream - 128Kbps or less is common.  So you wouldn't be able to run an extremely popular web site over broadband.  There just isn't enough bandwidth.  It's plenty for most home uses however.  People accessing your website from outsite will not noticeably slow down your own online experience, since you will usually have much more downstream bandwidth to spare.
      « Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 03:03:12 PM by robpomeroy »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
      PS  I may have my upstream and downstream muddled up there, but the gist is correct!!!   ;D

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
        Thanks for the posts guys.

Will have a think about all that.

Cheers.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:47:33 AM »
          So, basically, if I run my own server people can only access it when I'm on my computer? Interesting... Um, I created an account and a host. How do I actually get the web site up there into the right place? Do I do that on the web site, or what?

[edit]Oh wait, I found that in HTML-Kit I can import a site from a URL, so I can work on it from there. I think. It's asking for Username and Password, and I put in my dynDNS username and password, but it won't accept it! Also, when I try to go to the service I created, it asks for username and password. I put them in, but it doesn't accept them! What am I doing wrong?[/edit]
          « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:28:12 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

Backdated

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »
          First of all, is it actually a website that you want to run or is it perhaps an FTP server for sharing files?

I run a private FTP server using Serv-U and No-IP. My address is ftp://myservername.no-ip.com
          « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 10:17:31 AM by Backdated »

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »
            Just an HTTP site. No downloads.

[edit]I should probably mention that I am working on parts of the site. It isn't yet complete, because I have some routine work to do on it. I would like to know how to do it so that when I'm done making sure that that table I made renders properly in all browsers I can, or making sure those hyperlinks work like they're supposed to, then I am able to put that site on there. ;)[/edit]
            « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 10:35:04 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            « Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
            Dilbert, what web server are you using on your computer?  And what DynDNS client are you using?  (See the support section at DynDNS.)  How do you connect to the internet?  If you're using a router, have you ensured that external port 80 requests are forwarded to your PC?

Re the links - always use relative links, rather than absolute.  It makes testing so much easier.  That said, I often work on live sites (naughty) changing the files on the web server, rather than elsewhere+uploading and just test the changes as I go along.

Make sure you have the three big three browsers at least (Opera + Firefox + IE) for testing purposes.  In the case of IE, it is better for security to run one of the "wrapper" browsers like Maxthon or Slimbrowser, which are based on IE.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 12:53:48 PM »
              Dilbert, what web server are you using on your computer?

This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know. How can I figure it out?

And what DynDNS client are you using?  (See the support section at DynDNS.)

I'm looking all over the support section, and can't find info on it. Thinking it would help, I installed the Official Windows Update Client. What on Earth do I have to do?

How do you connect to the internet?

At last, a question I can answer! I use a wireless connection to my mother's router, which is hooked up to her computer.

If you're using a router, have you ensured that external port 80 requests are forwarded to your PC?

Um... no... how do I do that?

(I thought I knew about this stuff. I kinda feel like a moron for not getting this.)

Make sure you have the three big three browsers at least (Opera + Firefox + IE) for testing purposes.  In the case of IE, it is better for security to run one of the "wrapper" browsers like Maxthon or Slimbrowser, which are based on IE.

I have those three browsers.

Sorry for this guys, I don't mean to be such a hassle.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 01:44:12 PM »
              This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know. How can I figure it out?
              No problem.  You're either not running one, or you're running Microsoft's Personal Web Server (a Windows component).  In the latter case, uninstall it.  In either case, get Apache and follow the installation instructions carefully.  I'm afraid there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm sure that won't put you off.  :)

Now would also be a good opportunity to obtain and install MySQL and PHP.  Then you have a very sophisticated web & database server running on your PC.  If you want to get into MySQL, also obtain PHPMyAdmin.  Invaluable for administering MySQL databases.

I'm looking all over the support section, and can't find info on it. Thinking it would help, I installed the Official Windows Update Client. What on Earth do I have to do?
              That's what you need.  It tells the DynDNS servers what your current IP address is (in fact the address of your router).

At last, a question I can answer! I use a wireless connection to my mother's router, which is hooked up to her computer.
              Which router?

Um... no... how do I do that?
              Varies from router to router.  Grab the manual and look for "port forwarding".  Assign a static local IP address to your computer (don't use DHCP) and then forward the incoming port 80 requests to your PC's LAN IP address.

(I thought I knew about this stuff. I kinda feel like a moron for not getting this.)
              Don't be silly - if you've never done it before, why would you know?  Playing and trying things is the best way of learning.  :)
              « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 01:44:46 PM by robpomeroy »

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »
                No problem.  You're either not running one, or you're running Microsoft's Personal Web Server (a Windows component).  In the latter case, uninstall it.  In either case, get Apache and follow the installation instructions carefully.  I'm afraid there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm sure that won't put you off.  

I downloaded apache and installed it. :)

That's what you need.  It tells the DynDNS servers what your current IP address is (in fact the address of your router).

Oh good! I got it right. That's a relief.

Which router?

Linksys Wireless-B.

Varies from router to router.  Grab the manual and look for "port forwarding".  Assign a static local IP address to your computer (don't use DHCP) and then forward the incoming port 80 requests to your PC's LAN IP address.

I think the setup for Apache said something about allowing port 80 and I chose it. Would that do it?

Don't be silly - if you've never done it before, why would you know?  Playing and trying things is the best way of learning.  

;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                  • Me
                « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 04:45:03 PM »
                To give your PC a static IP, first find out its current IP address.  (Network connections-->LAN-->Status).  Then change the properties for the connection so that instead of being given an address/netmask/DNS server, you assign them manually.  In fact you should be able simply to copy all of the entries from status; this will fix them.

Explanation: your computers are all on a subnet, and probably have IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.  For example, the Linksys may be set up as 192.168.1.1 and then have a built in DHCP server that assigns IP addresses to the LAN, starting from (say) .10.  Practice varies with each router.  So your computer may have a current IP address of 192.168.1.11.

If you can get access to the router's interface (you'll need that later), you should be able to discover what IP addresses it allocates.  It will usually only be a few (eg. from .10 to .20).  If you can find that out, it is best to give your PC a number NOT in that range - e.g. 192.168.1.200.

You'll need to read the router's manual.  It probably handles DNS requests for the LAN, so on your PC, enter the router's IP address as the DNS server (e.g. 192.168.1.1).

Whilst you're in the router, using the manual, set up port forwarding.  All incoming requests on port 80 need to be forwarded to your PC's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.200) on port 80.  Make sure your PC's firewall allows incoming and outgoing connections on port 80.  So long as you keep your installation of Apache up to date with the latest security patches, this is pretty safe.

Now your router has an external IP address - the one the rest of the world sees.  To check to see if your web server is accessible to the outside world, first of all find out the router's current IP address (just use http://www.whatismyip.com/) and then enter that address in your browser's address bar, with http:// in front.  You should see your web server (unless your router specifically doesn't allow that kind of connection).

Report back!  :)
                « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 04:47:20 PM by robpomeroy »