Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just One Page  (Read 15156 times)

Backdated

Re: Just One Page
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
I am aware of L&P and most of it will go completely over the head of the average user. Their main slant is the difference between software and hardware firewalls whilst my slant is the need for the extra layer that a software firewall provides.
They also presuppose that malicious software will somehow interact with a software firewall in order to lessen it's efficiency to a greater or lesser degree. In the main, that presupposition is false. To take their first example, how many LSP hijacker trojans are out there? In the grand scheme of things, they are very thin on the ground!
Yes, a hardware firewall is a better method of fending off incoming attacks (Again, if it's properly instituted and maintained) but it is utterly useless where outgoing traffic is concerned and in todays climate, it's just not good enough.

In their examples, not one popular hardware firewall would fare any better than a software firewall. In fact, the prognosis where a general purpose hardware firewall is concerned is very much worse than that where an average software firewall is concerned. Let's not forget that "application blocking" doesn't simply refer to a simple yes/no to a certain program in a well maintained setup!

Just a few questions to consider:
How would a hardware firewall prevent a trojan inside say, a zip archive being delivered? Now let's say that trojan is installed. How would that same hardware firewall prevent that trojan from connecting to say a web server or an FTP server?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:58:10 AM by Backdated »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Just One Page
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »
You have a point, of course.  I prefer to rely on an up to date virus checker and common sense, but we can't assume that the average user has either.  But then neither can we assume that the average user has a correctly configured firewall (software OR hardware).

I think internet security will have to become a mandatory subject in schools eventually...  Either that or make it illegal to surf without first implementing internet security...  ;D
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos