Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing/uninstalling problems  (Read 5645 times)

willowthewisp

installing/uninstalling problems
« on: March 11, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »
Hi there, i really could do with someones help!
I have windows xp and use it to surf and to play games.
I have a few games installed on it with no problems.
However a few years ago, i was given a game on cd that had been down loaded from the internet-toon car racing to be precise.No problems with the game until last year-we needed to get the pc memory erased completley as it wasnt working properly.To cut a long story short, when i tried to re install the game it installed but wasnt working properly, so i uninstalled it again, bought a NEW tooncar game and went ahead to install that.When i put the disc in, nothing happened-the disc disc was whirring about as it should but where the intallshield normally comes up automatically-nothing!
I then went to remove/add programs to do it manually-the install sheild came up with setting up, then a box popped up asking if i want to completly remove toon car and all its applications!
Turns out that 0.93mb of tooncar is still on the pc and i cant get rid of it, im not sure if that would stop me installing tooncar again or not!?
Anyway i have searched the entire computer and cant find tooncar on it, but its there still!(i did click remove on remove/add programs but after asking if i wanted to remove tooncar completley, i get a box which says maintenance on this program is finished, and guess what....yep toon car is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone please help me as my kids are doing my head in(tooncar is their fave game!) :-[
I can install and uninstall other games with ease, so i dont think it can be a problem with the pc-i was thinking maybe the bit of tooncar that is left is a 'bug' which wont let me re-install tooncar?!
Please, if you can help i will be ever so grateful!
many thanks,
willow xxx ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: installing/uninstalling problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 01:03:19 AM »
    willowthewisp.......   a few questions.
    Does tooncar show up in add/remove programs in the control panel?
    If you go into C:/Programs/is there a folder called tooncar or possibly (Revistronic)    ...... If is there see if you can delete the folder ........if it wont let you , open the folder and manually delete the contents 1 at a time then delete the folder .
    Then you should go into the registry and use the registry search feature and look for tooncar entries and delete them......... If you havent used the registry editor before please dont attempt it . If you are comfortable editing the registry don't forget to backup the registry just in case you remove something you shouldnt have .

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:45:00 AM »
    If it's not listed under the Add/Remove applet, search the drives for any traces of it and delete them. Look in Program Files, Program Files\Common Files, all the olders in Documents And Settings and My Documents.
    Once all files are removed, reboot and run CCleaner.

SP2 and other updates may mean that the game has to be run in compatibility mode, that's if it can now be run at all.

willowthewisp

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 05:11:48 AM »
     :-?
    Hi there, thanx for the info. I have deleted the revistronic folder-its gone now, but tooncar is still in the add/remove programs!I cant delete that for some reason no matter how hard i try!
    I have searched and searched for any files of tooncar and yet i cant seem to find any!-But on add/remove programs there is 0.91mb of it left!
    I have never been in the registry before, but maybe thats what i need to do-i presume i need to be careful inj going into the registry?
    Do i need to look out for anything?And am i likely to delete the entire contents of the computer?!!!
    Could you tell me how i back up the registry or is it obvious when you get in there? :-?
    Sorry to be so dumb!
    many thanx
    willow x ::)

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »
    Once all files are removed, reboot and run CCleaner.

willowthewisp

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
     :-?
    Ok!
    Ive done everything you have told me to do.
    -I have searched the computer for tooncar and i came across 1 file, which i deleted. I then re-started the computer and did disc cleanup(is this ccleaner?)
    Tooncar is still on my sodding computer!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
    When i go on add/remove programs tooncar is still there-0.91mb of the bloody game!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why on earth can i not get rid of it completely?!!
    And could it be this small amount of program that is preventing me from installing the new tooncar game? Or is this a differant problem altogether??!!! :-?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
      You can use ccleaner to remove the entry from Add/Remove Programs.
      Ccleaner>Tools>Uninstall>Delete Entry Button.
      I have not tried this feature of ccleaner so I can't tell you any more.

Edit: BTW, do you think the first one you got could have been hacked/pirated?
      There seems to be a bit of that going on.
      http://m0003.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_tooncar.shtml
      « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 03:04:24 PM by Fed »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 03:06:08 PM »
        willowthewisp......   D/l CCleaner from ...... http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp    ....  d/l version 1.27.260
        Install it and run both the cleaner and then scan for issues .

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

willowthewisp

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 12:46:16 AM »
        Ok i shall try the ccleaner, and let you know!
        Yes it is possible the original tooncar i had could have been 'tampered'-i cant quite remember, but it was given to me by someone who either down loaded it from internet or copied it from their own disc. ::)

willowthewisp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »
        Mind you, saying that i have been having problems downloading!Will let you know tho!!!!! :-[

willowthewisp

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
        I seem to have ccleaner now! Will try it out later. I hope it works the kids are driving me crazy over this game!!!!!!! :o

willowthewisp

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »
         ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
        Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!
        Im a very happy bunny and so are my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
        I did the ccleaner and that got rid of the tiny bit of tooncar.
        I then had no problems installing the new tooncar game!
        In fact after running the ccleaner, my computer seems to be working a lot better!!
        Mind you there was a lot of rubbish on it!I basically backed up thr registry(just in case!) and let ccleaner get on with it!
        So thanks again!I coudnt have done it without your help! :-*
        willow x

Backdated

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 04:52:55 PM »
        I have to apologise here. I was sure that I'd posted a link to CCleaner earlier in the thread. :-/

willowthewisp

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »
         ;DNo worries- it all got sorted! ;D
        I must do some sort of computer course! when it comes to them im a real dunce! :-? but like to know how you do things on them-esp. when something goes wrong-i like to be able to fix it.Anyway thanx again.
        I shall keep hold of this forum, not only is it handy, and helpful, but the people who give the help are soo friendly!! :D
        willow x

Backdated

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 07:13:51 AM »
        Most computer courses, in the UK at least, are pretty poor affairs. If you really want to learn, pick yourself up a cheap, older, second hand system and go to town on that.
        Help is always available here.