Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstall Ubuntu........... DESPERATE  (Read 6079 times)

wineprovider

Uninstall Ubuntu........... DESPERATE
« on: March 11, 2006, 03:43:32 AM »
I had aproblem with Win XP and was advised to try Ubuntu Linux. My partner didn`t like it so we bought a win 98 OS and now when I try to install and reboot Ubuntu loads and I can`t revover Windows. As a novice I`ve read stuff in the Ubuntu forums and  am baffled by the Gobbldy gook. Can someone help me get rid of Ubuntu and install Win98 in idiot proof terms.
God bless to all.

Backdated

Re: Uninstall Ubuntu........... DESPERATE
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 04:19:31 AM »
Download [highlight]this archive[/highlight] and extract it to a folder. Run the resultant bootdisk.exe with a diskette in the floppy drive.
Use this floppy to boot the affected computer.
At the A:/> prompt, type delpart followed by enter. A small program will open. In that program, elect to delete all partitions. OK it all and reboot with the diskette still in the drive.
At the A:/> prompt, type fdisk followed by enter. Enable large disk support when asked and create your partition(s). Reboot when done.
At the A:/> prompt, type fdisk /mbr followed by enter. When that's done, type format c: /u followed by enter.
When that's complete, place the Win98 CD in the first CD drive and type v: followed by enter.
At the V:/> prompt, type setup /ie /im /is /nr followed by enter.
The Win98 setup routine will now run.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 04:20:32 AM by Backdated »

wineprovider

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 07:17:10 AM »
Hi my name is Martyn and you were kind eneogh to help in my problems.

I`ve followed your instructions but when I put the v: prompt up it didn`t recognise it so put in C: and windows started but has now stopped and a message says.............Message SU995035........An invalid command option was specified.Check the command line and try again,or type Setup/? for help on the setup command options. (0x13ab).
What to do now please. I`m fed up and desperate.
Thanks again

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
Is the Win98 CD in your first (Master) CD drive? The bootdisk loads your first CD ROM device at v: as seen from this lie in autoexec.bat:
LH MSCDEX /D:IDECD_00 /L:V /M:20

You should not have been able to run setup from C: if all instructions had been followed as there are no path statements and C: should have been empty. The SU995035 error suggests that the boot drive has not been formatted and files still exist on it.

Please don't PM me over these matters. I'm quite capable of reading it here.

wineprovider

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 07:49:53 AM »
Ok sorry to go against your way of working.
You are talking to a novice but I will try to answer your questions as close as I can.The master drive is C: and the second is set as CD rom then the third is A:....This is what the BIOS is set at at the moment.
However the disk I created from your link doesn`t seem to show that its doing anything, The other news is that when I rebooted it said that a partition has to be created. Now after the latest boot it says "No operating system"
When i entered delpart it said illegal command so i feel i`ve made a mistake by going to the next step.Please accept my appologies I`ve been trying to put things right for 7 days now and I`ve probably made things worse.

What is,or where is and what do yopu want me to do? autoexec.bat:LH MSCDEX /D:IDECD_00 /L:V /M:20

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »
If something doesn't work as expected at any point, please say so. It's important that all instructions are carried out in order.
Your BIOS boot order is set to boot from floppy isn't it? If not, enter the BIOS, find the boot order settings and set it to boot from floppy first.

<Edit> Having reread your post, this is where your problem lies. Set the boot order to A: CDROM: C:.

I thought you would have realised that the system wasn't booting from floppy. When it does, it's noisy and slow.
When it doesn't, you don't get an A:/> prompt.

Anyway, set the boot order and take it from here:

Use the floppy you created to boot the affected computer.
At the A:/> prompt, type delpart followed by enter. A small program will open. In that program, elect to delete all partitions. OK it all and reboot with the diskette still in the drive.
At the A:/> prompt, type fdisk followed by enter. Enable large disk support when asked and create your partition(s). Reboot when done.
At the A:/> prompt, type fdisk /mbr followed by enter. When that's done, type format c: /u followed by enter.
When that's complete, place the Win98 CD in the first CD drive and type v: followed by enter.
At the V:/> prompt, type setup /ie /im /is /nr followed by enter.
The Win98 setup routine will now run.

If you're not sure about something at any point, ask.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:39:48 AM by Backdated »

wineprovider

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »
Sorry for the delay I`ve been to a freinds house to make another floppy and when inserted the message at thebottom of the page says...........remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart

Backdated

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
The bootdisk certainly works OK as others have tried it and I've just downloaded it, made it and tested it.

You have to actually run the bootdisk.exe file, not copy it to floppy. It's a self extracting diskette image which creates a bootable floppy.

Is your BIOS boot sequence correctly set up?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:50:04 AM by Backdated »

wineprovider

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:58 AM »
Thats where I`ve been going wrong. How to I get the bootdisk.exe file to acomputer which is effectively DEAD?

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:10:35 AM »
Run it on the computer that you downloaded it to. Have a diskette in the drive ready.

wineprovider

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 11:08:47 AM »
There will be delay.I`m off to PC orld to buy another floppy drive. Mine is not showing onmy PC.

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
Because of the time differences, I probably won't be around for a while unless you're in the UK or somewhere near.
However, get the floppy drive and the diskette working, follow the instructions and you'll be up and running in no time.

If you have access to a CD burner and Nero, I can make an image file that will enable you to make a bootable CD if the floppy drive fails.

Backdated

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 11:30:47 AM »
I've just upped [highlight]bootable CD image[/highlight] that does exactly the same as the bootdisk except tthat if you use it, you'll need to boot from CD first rather than floppy.

It's in ISO format so you can burn it with Nero.

wineprovider

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 04:26:17 AM »
Made CD thanks. I`ve changed the BIOS which is now 1St.....CD Rom..... 2nd CD rom ....3rd....A:.....message says "missing operating system" Can`t go any further.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:44:38 AM by wineprovider »

Backdated

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 02:18:28 PM »
It's failed via a boot diskette and it's failed via a boot CD. I know that both the Diskette and the CD are fully operational but just in case, I've just redownloaded them, remade them and retested them.
Both are fine and operate exactly as expected!

You are saving the BIOS changes aren't you?
Did you finalise the CD?
Did you open the cdboot.iso file in Nero rather than just burn it as a file? You should end up with what appears to Windows, DOS etc be a blank CD.

If you're certain that you've done everything right then it seems that this machine is destined for the scrapheap.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 02:20:31 PM by Backdated »