Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor or Video Card dying?  (Read 2208 times)

dassala

Monitor or Video Card dying?
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
I'm running a 3 year-old Dell Dimension 2350 with a flat panel display.  I haven't changed any of the hardware on it, and I (attempt to) take care of it.  I don't use screen savers when I let it idle, instead I use the 'turn off monitor' option at 5 minutes.  Lately, however, my monitor (or someone suggested maybe my video card?) has been on the fritz.  Randomly, even when it's just sitting, the monitor goes to a completely white, blank screen.  Sometimes, I can fix it by turning off the monitor for a few seconds.  Other times, it takes 20-30 minutes to come back up.  It also flashes white periodically when I move the mouse.  Would you say this is the monitor dying, or is it the video card?  I'd like to know which I need to replace.  If it is the video card, do you have any recommendations as to which I should purchase?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Monitor or Video Card dying?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »
I would say to try the monitor on another computer to help narrow it down. Also scan for viruses and Spyware... Which operating system are you using? Have you made any chnages to your system just before this started?

Flame

Backdated

Re: Monitor or Video Card dying?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 08:21:20 AM »
If it's an LCD display, it's probably the inverter or the backlight itself failing.