Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 300 GB HD Issue  (Read 4963 times)

fatali

300 GB HD Issue
« on: March 11, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
A friend of mine just got a new 300GB HD with 48 bit addressing. His problem is that he can't get Win 2000 to recognize anything past 137GB.  Is there anyway he can get it to recognize the full 300GB and make it usable?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: 300 GB HD Issue
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »
    Same thing happened to me with my 200 GB hdd. I'm 100% sure that the motherboard does not support such a large-capacity drive. He would need to upgrade it. See, these older motherboards just aren't made to handle this. I'm sorry.

Even worse is this: If he upgrades the motherboard to something that will support his hard drive, he'll need to format it to see all 300 GB unless he has something like PartitionMagic. If he doesn't, make sure he backs up whatever's on his hard drive before he formats.

I'm positive on this. It happened to me, and the tech support guys told me exactly this.
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 06:29:18 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

fatali

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »
    He just got a new board with the drive it's a asus p5wd2-e premium Motherboard

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 07:08:41 PM »
      Okay, it's new. But that doesn't mean it's new on the market. How long has that motherboard been around? Is it the latest and greatest, or is it cheap? If your friend went for cheap, it may not support that big a drive.

fatali

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 07:14:20 PM »
      It's not a cheap board I can assure you.    

SpecificationsModel
      Brand ASUS
      Model P5WD2-E Premium
      Supported CPU
      CPU Socket Type Socket T (LGA 775)
      CPU Type Intel Pentium EE/Pentium D/Pentium 4 HT
      FSB 1066/800MHz
      Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology

Chipsets
      North Bridge Intel 975X
      South Bridge Intel ICH7R

Memory
      Number of DDR2 Slots 4x 240pin DDR2
      DDR2 Standard DDR2 800
      Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
      Dual Channel Supported Yes

Expansion Slots
      AGP Slots None
      PCI Express x16 2
      PCI Express x1 1
      PCI Slots 3
      Other Slots 1 x Universal PCI-E (max. x2 speed)
      Storage Devices
      PATA 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
      SATA II 8
      SATA RAID RAID 0/1/0+1/5 Matrix RAID
      Additional RAID Controller Marvell 88SE6141
      Onboard Video
      Onboard Video No
      Onboard Audio
      Audio Chipset Realtek ALC882M
      Audio Channels 8 Channels
      Onboard LAN
      LAN Chipset Marvell 88E8053
      Second LAN Chipset Marvell 88E8053
      Max LAN Speed Dual 10/100/1000Mbps
      Rear Panel Ports
      PS/2 2
      LPT 1
      USB 4x USB 2.0
      S/PDIF Out 1x Optical and 1x Coaxial
      Audio Ports 6 Ports
      Onboard USB
      Onboard USB 4x USB 2.0
      Onboard 1394
      Onboard 1394 2x 1394a
      Physical Spec
      Form Factor ATX
      Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"

Features
      Power Pin 24 Pin
      Features 1 x External Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s
      The SATA_RAID4 connector and External SATA port can not be used simultaneously

Specs from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589

fatali

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 07:31:39 PM »
      Well, I think I may have found a solution for him. Turns out with Win2k, anything earlier than SP3 doesn't support 48bit addressing. Just have to wait to tell him to try updating his windows.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:45:06 PM »
        Okay, it's not old, and not cheap. BUT... this does not mean it is capable of running a hard drive larger than 137 GB. I did a little reseach on Google and found that others have the same problem with this EXACT motherboard. It's because it uses what's called 28-bit addressing. To be honest, I have no idea what that is, but it limits the amount of space you can have.

A poster on another forum who was having a problem wrote:

I'm installing a new 200 Gbyte Seagate hard drive in a Windows XP SP2 PC
        with an MSI K8T Neo series MB. The guide from Seagate warns about the 137
        Gbyte addressing limitation of some Operating Systems and of some Mother
        Boards. The OS should be OK but I can't seem to find anything in the
        motherboard documentation that specifically mentions this limitation so I am
        unsure of whether I can safely partition the drive to more than 137 Gbytes.

I did do a little research and this is what I came up with. According to
        the Seagate guide, the 137 Gbyte limit is a result of not being capable of
        48 bit addressing. I found a discussion of this issue on the Seagate site
        http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf which explains that the
        limit can be determined by the number of addressable bits. Using their
        calculations, 28 bit addressing yields 137 Gbytes ( 28 base 2 x 512 Bytes)
        and the newer 48 bit addressing yields 144 Petabytes.

The guide for the Motherboard states under the heading "Hard Disk
        Connectors: IDE1 & IDE2" that " The mainboard has a 32-bit Enhanced PCI IDE
        and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 controller that that provides PIO mode 0~5, Bus
        Master, and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 function." I'm assuming that the 32-bit
        refers to the addressable bits (Enhanced over the 28-bit ?) which, using the
        calculations above, would yield about 2.2 Terabytes.

I would conclude that my MB is capable of working with partitions of more
        than 137 Gbytes using the IDE connectors on the MB or have I gone astray?

Thanks

It's not the same motherboard, but the info is good. I advise that you read the thread:

http://howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra852132.html

[edit]Whoops, we posted at about the same time. ;D[/edit]
        « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 07:45:48 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

fatali

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »
        Every OS by Microsoft is incapable of using more than 504 MiB (Yes, MiB. MiB is Mebibyte. Google it if you need to know more) unless LBA mode is enabled.  Logical Block Addressing overcomes the 504 MiB limit by using some very nice changes to the logical geometry of the drive to sort of 'trick' your system into reading the full size of your Hdd.  The bit addressing, for the guy in the post you found: 28 bits, and for my friend: 48 bits, has to do with the LBA.

(Went looking for this after I figured out what I was looking for lol )

For anyone who wants to know, info about LBA: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/modesLBA-c.html
        « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:07:19 PM by fatali »

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:09:53 PM »
          I found MiB on Wiki. Sounds like Megabyte with a cold. :D

Seriously, I find this highly interesting, but I think I'd prefer the system of mega, giga, tera, and so on. It's what I grew up with, kinda like growing up with the American measurement system. :) Thanks for the info.

fatali

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »
          Me too, I like using mega, giga, tera.  When I read about the Mib and Gib, I realized that that is why, for instance, when you install a '40' GB Hdd, it only shows up as somewhere around 38GB when you view it in the OS, it's because of the two different measurments. One's using the Giga, one's using the Giba, it just doesn't tell you that. lol

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »
            Yeah, I noticed that my 200 GB hard drive (as I said, I had to upgrade my own motherboard for this reason) shows up as 189 GB total. It's like, "Hey, I paid for 200 GB!" lol
            « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:17:36 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

fatali

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
            lol, well technicaly you did get what you paid for. It's still the same about, just two different ways of measuring it.   A gibibyte has over 73 million more bytes than a gigabyte.  So, the size written on the disk and advertised by the company is really in Gib, and the size that shows up in the OS is in Gig.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 08:27:40 PM »
              This is enough to make any techhie's head hurt. Ah, well. I guess they like it confusing. Keeps them in business. ;)

fatali

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 08:31:38 PM »
              lol, I had to re-read to make sure I got it right.  The reason for the two types of measuremeant is that one is in Decimal (Gig) and one is Binary (Gib). But, I wish they would pick one and stick to it accross the board.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »
              But I think the full drive can be used as is, just not as one big partition.

fatali

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »
              I believe he has tried using multiple partitions, but he's not online and I don't have his phone number to find out.

Backdated

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 08:18:39 AM »
              As far as 48 bit transfer is concerned, it's really quite easy to understand if kept simple. It's the "address width" in bits of the data bus.
              Much more data can be simultaneously transferred over a 32 bit wide bus than across a 16 bit wide bus.
              It is a fair bit more involved than this but think of the difference in traffic moving capability of a narrow country road and an 8 lane motorway.
              « Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:19:12 AM by Backdated »

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
              I believe he has tried using multiple partitions, but he's not online and I don't have his phone number to find out.

Maybe your friend should post his questions.  ;)

fatali

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »
              He doesn't usualy check out help forums, I just thought I'd try to help him out.  

Just spoke to him, he got it working.

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 01:00:56 PM »
              Just out of curiosity how did the situation resolve?

fatali

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
              Had to do some registry editing.   2000 doesn't have EnableBigLBA  enabled by default so, after getting SP4  you have to go into the registry and change the value of EnableBigLBA to 1.

This is what I had found: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/en-us  

He did the same thing, except he found some software that came with a Hdd that did the registry editing for him.