Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what setup to chose?  (Read 3065 times)

blckxtrr

what setup to chose?
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:06:04 PM »
Hey guys, I am getting a new computer soon, and I am unsure about my two options....

1. 2GB RAM, 256mb nVidia 6800, Audigy 2Z soundcard

2. 3GB RAM, 256mb ATI Radeon X600SE w/ Hypermemory, with X-Fi soundcard

I've heard that hypermemory is terrible, and that nVidia is the way to go, and I plan on/try to run Battlefield 2 if that helps anything

Thanks!

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: what setup to chose?
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:13:11 PM »
    First off, I can tell you that the amount of memory you get (the 2GB and 3 GB) is NOT related in any way to your video card. If you really wanted to buy that much memory (hey, I do) then you could still get either card.

BTW, a lot of people say nVidia is worthless just because they prefer ATIs. My advice is to do Google research on what Hypermemory is and see if that's what you want.

My research shows that HyperMemory lets you use your memory to render graphics. I recommend it ONLY if you have at least a gig of RAM. Any less can cause you to run low on or out of memory, especially when the memory is being used enough as is. If you have memory to spare, then buying it will make your games run faster.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4783.html
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 09:13:45 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

blckxtrr

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
    thanks for that info, anyone else have any suggestions?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
    thanks for that info, anyone else have any suggestions?

The motherboard might be as important as all of this stuff.  ;)

What have you learned in all of your research so far?

blckxtrr

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »
    so far, I have learned that the 6800 128mb card ripped it up in Far Cry and Doom3, and I'm leaning towards that, and the fact that the one I may be getting is 256mb, it would be just better.  The 6800 seems to be an all around more powerful card that the X600

JustinTR

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:55:22 PM »
    Well I bought a ati card with 512 ddr2 and it ran Battlefront 2 (NOT BATTLE FIELD) even slower than my nvidia 6200 256 card
    and I had also added a gig to my already one gig system. I also HATED the ati drivers! I'm back to and will always buy NVIDIA!!!

P.S. What 6800 are you looking at the gs, gt, or ultra?
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:56:00 PM by JustinTR »

blckxtrr

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »
    just a regular 6800, doesnt say anything else about it, other than its 256mb

blckxtrr

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800

To be exact....sry for double post

JustinTR

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
    It don't really matter I was just curious. The 6800 is a good card and will play most if not all games out now no problem. But if you have less than a gig of ram I would get the 256 card without hesitation (SPELLING?)

blckxtrr

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »
    well, if i get the 6800 i will have 2 gigs of ram, dimension XPS 400 for a killer deal, 1,300 bucks and it has an audigy 2Z soundcard, and a 3GHZ intel viiv dual core processor, it would be more but they include like 5 years of service for an extra 300 bucks, and a 19inch LCD monitor that i think is way to big, and they run you like 250 for that....so i gained around 600 back when i was done with it

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:45 PM »
    So you are spending how much total to play this game?  :o

blckxtrr

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »
    not just this game, haha....and not just for games. I need a new computer, so i figured i mine as well get one that plays the one game i will ever play nicely on it, the comp im using now is 4 years old

JustinTR

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:18:10 AM »
    For real I like PC games I think they blow every console out of the water. I have had just about every console there is and I would rather play computer games ANY DAY over a console game! It doesn't really matter how much you spend as long as you enjoy what you are doing. I really enjoy every aspect of computer gaming and don't really think about the money that I send on my rig (besides the $100.00 bucks I spend on a new code for windows xp just for upgrading so much)

P.S. I would think about it very hard and do alot of research before buying a dell for gaming. Even tho they say its for gaming its still a dell and they will overcharge you out the you know what for a pc that prolly won't be playing games this time next year. And be careful about what motherboard and power supply you buy. It is really the biggest part of upgrading in time to come.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:19:32 AM by JustinTR »