Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: protection  (Read 3715 times)

saikumar

protection
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:25:38 AM »
hi.........
   how can a  file be password protected  in linux.......??????? :-? [i mean  when a perticular file or a directory is tried 2 b opened by someone(other than owner) it should prompt him for the password of that file ]

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: protection
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »
The Linux file system does not offer this kind of system.  Neither does NTFS (Windows) for that matter.  You should decide who you want to have access to the file, and grant them permission accordingly.

What exactly are you trying to do?

You always have the option of hiding any file or files in a password protected zip file...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

saikumar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »
You should decide who you want to have access to the file, and grant them permission accordingly.

You always have the option of hiding any file or files in a password protected zip file...

................ so,how  do i grant the permission to  access my file(any kind) to  the seleted ones............

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:14:18 PM »
Create a group.  Make that group the owner of the file in question.  Add the relevant users to that group.

Code: [Select]
man useradd
man groupadd
man chown
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos