Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All my desktop files have disappaerred  (Read 6797 times)

bobqazwsx

All my desktop files have disappaerred
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:28:16 PM »
I have a compaq comptuer, windows xp home, 2.40Ghz , 504 MB of Ram.

I download a demo for half life2 from softwarearchives.com. When installing the game I chose the files to go directly onto the desktop. When the instaltion was complete I moved all the files for half life 2 into a folder that was already on my desktop.  I went to control panel - add remove programs to uninstall half life 2, but got a message saying it had already been remove.  But the half life 2 files in the desktop folder were still there. So I used the uninstall icon from those files. When the uninstaltion was complete the computer did a sort of "mini restart" the screen went black then came back. But all my desktop folders and files and a couple of shortcut icons were gone. POOOF!!! AAAAA!!!

I then tryed a system restore "which took alomst an hour" but it did not restore everything on the desktop. all it brought back was the folders and shortcut icons.  But all the files in the folders were still gone. expamle my folder - music folder - but no music files.  I tryed doing system restore from 5 different pionts, but none brought back the files in the desktop folders still just empty folders.

On my 6th try doing a system restore i got a message saying there was not enough free disk space to perfrom the system restore:  700mb of free disk space required.  In trying to make free space I got into a ulitity window which had three choices, they were:  1 - disk clean up,  2 - remove unused windows programs,  3 - remove all but most recent system restore points.

I ran disk cleanup but there was very little to get rid of. I click the remove  system restore point button, but when asked if i wanted to remove them I click the x or cancel. I kept utility window open, and went to control panel - add remove programs and removed another game to make space. it was 600mb. that uninstall went fine. when i returned to the utility window to close it, a message asked if i wanted to, perform the task i had done, something simalar to that.  I thought it was reffering to the disk clean up so i choose yes or ok,
I then went to system restore agian and to my dismay only the most recent restore point was there. the one restore point that was left was after the files had disappeared.

So I am missing all files from my desktop is there a way to get them back. or so how restore the all the system restore points.

All the files on my desktop added up to about 9 GB. Is there anything I can do myself or do i have to take my computer to a repair store.  Or am i just F*****.  Please Help!!! =(

Backdated

Re: All my desktop files have disappaerred
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
Right click the Desktop. Select "Arrange Icons By......" and ensure that "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.

bobqazwsx

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:26:11 PM »
Thanks but that was no help. I have the folders but the files that were in them are whats missing.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

IT-Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:47:22 AM »
    Ouch.  It seems things have really gotten outa hand.  OK.. from what you said.. you installed HL2 to the desktop... (bad idea) then moved the program files into another folder (so windows couldn't find them anymore) then went into that folder and found the uninstall for HL2 and ran that.  But that's when you say the screen blanked and came back with a blank desktop...  (sounds like at that point you needed to run Tweak UI to restore the icons) But since you jumped to System restore... and I assume the restore points were successful?  Honestly... there's no telling what stage your pc is in now.  On the bright side of things.. I doubt you've overwritten anything that can't be brought back.  If you have to ... try downloading something like a data recovery tool... you can find a handfull of useful items at http://www.ptdd.com/

I hope someone has some better ideas... but till then... good luck in finding your missing files.

bobqazwsx

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »
    I am trying to use  EaseUS DataRecoveryWizard 2.0 demo version from the link you gave.
    During the installtino it ask. Choose Destination Location - select folder where setup will install files.
    It has chosen  C:\program Files\ EaseUS\DataRecoveryWizard 2.0 demo
    When i click next i get this message:  Caution! If DataRecovery Wizard is installed to a drive where files are to be recovered, data may be permanently written-over and rendered non-recoverable. please make sure the data you need to recover is on a different drive.
    Drive ti install C:\program Files\ EaseUS\DataRecoveryWizard 2.0 demo

So if I want to recover files that were on my desktop is C:\program Files\ EaseUS\DataRecoveryWizard 2.0 demo a safe location to install to?
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:34:03 AM by bobqazwsx »

IT-Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »
    It wants you to slave your drive and recover from another.  If you use the same drive there's a chance it will overwrite something it's trying to recover.

I was hoping someone would have a better plan before resorting to that.

bobqazwsx

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 12:17:51 PM »
    I dont know what you mean.
    Is it like if I have added something on that drive after the problem and I install and run EaseUS DataRecoveryWizard 2,  I will loose that file or prgram on the drive?
    I have not installed the recovery program yet so i will wait and see if someone has something else.

IT-Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:39 PM »
    Those recovery tools are mostly used to recover corrupt, overwritten, or formatted drives where you can't see your files anymore.  The process is to have a second hard drive in which you load the software to and slave the corrupt disc for recovery.

bobqazwsx

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 01:01:35 PM »
    Ok thanks. I think I understand what it does. I will still wait to see if anyone else has an another idea.  If not i will try the recovery program.

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
    Merely turning on the computer will vastly reduce the chance of recovering any data from a boot drive, particularly an XP system.
    You will need two hard drives/partitions for data recovery purposes. Any decent application will not write to the same partition that you're attempting to recover data from.

Your chances of successful recovery are slim and the process will be involved and probably costly. Those files had better be worth it!

bobqazwsx

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 06:29:28 PM »
    I hardly understand what you said but you scared me so I am glad a have not used that recover program yet. sound like I can"t get the files back =(

Backdated

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 06:47:30 PM »
    All flavours of Windows do one *censored* of a lot of writing to disk even if you just boot up and don't do anything. XP takes the art of writing to disk to new levels, particularly on mass produced pre-installed boxes.
    Every time a disk write is made, the chances are that previously recoverable data is being overwritten.
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:48:39 PM by Backdated »

bobqazwsx

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »
    I have no clue what your last post ment.  
    From what you understand about what has happened, would you recommend I use EaseUS DataRecoveryWizard to try to restore or recover my missing files.  A yes or no anwser would be prefered if its that simple.
    If you do not recommend using that program, do you have any other ideas or suggestion?
    Thanks

JLNTexas

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »
    Have tried to see if that program activated Active Desktop (Microsoft name for making your desktop looking like a webpage)?

on your desktop, right click and choose properties,
    go into the web section/tab and chhose delete.
    Click Ok the couple of times, and see if that works.