Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network computers  (Read 1834 times)

drug123

Network computers
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how to network computers. I have six computers in one building with a
DSL hardwired service.

Backdated

Re: Network computers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:32 PM »
It depends on whether it's a business, which country and what you expect of the network.
Setting this up will probably be fairly easy (He says, knowing that even the simplest network can be a right pig). Administering it is another matter.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:27:52 AM »
What's at the end of the DSL?  A router?  If not, that's your simplest solution.  Router with built in DSL modem.  Preferably with at least 6 ethernet ports, be they wired (preferably but involves more drilling!) or wireless (go for 801.11g).  Then you need corresponding ethernet cards in all the PCs.  Set up is relatively simple if your router has a built in DHCP server.

If the router doesn't have a firewall built in and if you don't know how to set up a firewall, then get an expert to help.  It is well worth paying for this.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

drug123

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
all computers have ethernet cards. Router has a  built in DSL modem with a firewall. not sure what a DHCP server? Now with all that being said, were do i go from here?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 11:03:17 AM »
I would imagine that the router does have DHCP.  That's the protocol that assigns IP addresses to the computers on your LAN (so long as it's turned on in the router).  DHCP makes everything fairly easy.  In most cases you'd just need to hook up the PCs to the router, turn on the PCs and you're away.  Have you tried that?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:03:36 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:37:08 AM »
As long as different machines aren't continually joining/leaving the network, I would personally disable DHCP and set up static IPs.
Whether or not each machine can share an internet connection or whether wanside IPs are available is dependent on the ISP involved.

There aren't that many 6 port routers around that I know of so extra switches etc may be required. Are any extras involved like network printers for example?

It's the existing and projected software setup will perhaps require the most thought.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:38:38 AM by Backdated »