Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: norton ghost  (Read 7700 times)

TINY

Re: norton ghost
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03:01 PM »
Hi, Backdated..

Thanks for your reply.

It isn't necessary to remove the original or new HDD as you can more easily leave it in situ and simply disconnect it thereby ensuring that it is always ready for use very quickly - by re-connecting it.  Disconnected it won't suffer a virus attack, either.  

Also, if your original disk fails completely you just re-connect your copied "slave" drive change the jumpers and off you go.  

Simple - if only I could get it to work!!!!!!

I think I might ask Norton if they have ever got it to work.

Cheers,

TINY

Backdated

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »
You are missing the point entirely though. Even if the drive is still in the case, it's still redundant and you still have to go through all the rigmarole of reconnecting it, swapping cables or jumpers, making another backup and putting the case back together. In the event of a virus or malware being present, you are unnecessarily introducing a risk of cross infection.
By creating an image of your boot drive, which is what Ghost was primarily intended for, none of this is necessary! If you have CD or DvD burning capability, the task is even easier!

Using the method I describe, I can reinstall that system a darned sight faster than you can using your method. Not only is my method quicker, easier and less risky, but I won't need a screwdriver. ;D

TINY

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 01:30:09 AM »
Hi, Backdated.

You may be right but it is now a matter of me not giving up on this come *censored* or high water - if Norton claim their software will do this I aim to prove it - or otherwise.

Just a small minor observation on your reply I don't need a screwdriver to open the box and changing cables takes only seconds.

I am, however,  going to try your method anyway - as Norton's doesn't seem to work - so your help and advice has not been lost on me.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

TINY

walter

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 04:02:41 AM »
has the new drive been recognised in the bios as the primary master device, this may be tghe fault.