Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: always boots on the second time  (Read 3186 times)

knqbbydelmar

always boots on the second time
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:37:29 AM »
Hi guys first time poster here,
anyways i built a uber comp for a friend and everything seems to be runnin well except for one thing, (as this kind of problem was posted a few pages back i didn't really understand what the people replyin were recommending so maybe you can help me out with this) everytime i cold boot the comp it doesn't boot i believe, the monitor says it has no connection and just goes on standby. the mobo lights up tho, fans, everything is alive, it just doesn't wanna boot. now i hold down the power button and switches off right, now when i press it again right after it boots, the monitor gets on, everything boots perfectly, windows xp and everything. now i'll state what system i built and see what could be wrong with it. i upgraded most of the drivers except for the bios driver for the mobo cuz i hate messin with that stuff, anyways here it is:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz
MSI P5 mobo (i forgot the model but it can fit pci and has a agp slot)
2gig DDR (2 sticks)
200 gig maxtor hd
dvd writer
and all the additional tidbits

i've connected and reconnected everything and it still goes through the same procedure, the cold boot doesn't do it but the second time works. i just dunno what it could be. a little help from you people would be well appreciated.
thanks
noobles

IT-Guy

Re: always boots on the second time
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:44:49 AM »
What type of monitor is it?  If it's an LCD, are you giving it time to get to windows prior to hitting the power switch?  Sometimes, an LCD will not pick up the signal until windows loads... That's just some LCD's.

knqbbydelmar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:48:02 AM »
Its an LG 19" LCD, but if i had the power on standby on the second push of the button and it loads perfectly then why would it not happen with the first? also i noticed with the casing leds that on the second push when it loads windows it lights up, on the first push tho i wait a while and yet no lights go on.

noobles

IT-Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:50:22 AM »
So when it doesn't work.. there's no lights or activity when you first turn on the LCD?  (without booting)

And you've checked all the connections?

knqbbydelmar

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:55:14 AM »
ok so this is what happens when i push it the first time,
i push it, mobo starts up, fans whirlin, sounds of stuff goin on. the LCD is on btw so the lights green, then it says no connection and the power turns orange for standby on the monitor. meanwhile on the comp casin the leds aren't on, everythin else is alive but i don't think its bootin to windows and stuff, i really wouldn't know cuz i don't see what's goin on the LCD. so i'm sittin there with a case that's turned on but the monitor just wont detect it any signal. and this LCD is brand new, as in just got it today, we swapped it from a Proview 19" LCD (which sucks btw, didn't even come with a CD of drivers). so yea that's it.

knqbbydelmar

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 06:56:58 AM »
and yea i've checked all the connections, the gcard is a nvidia 6600 256 meg which has a power input in the card itself so i plugged in a power cable to it. (it IS for a power cable right?). and i made sure its in place

IT-Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 07:06:15 AM »
he he he.. Yes.. I have the same card.

Does it consistently boot the second go round without problem?  Have you tested this mulitiple times?

knqbbydelmar

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:11 AM »
it ALWAYS boots the second time without problems, i've tried and tried it many times and its always from a cold boot where it doesn't work. even if i shut down windows and repower the comp after a few minutes it always boots. but if its like 5 to 10 to whatever minutes it'll start all over and i have to push the power till it turns off and push it again and it'll work. always on teh second time.

IT-Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:08 AM »
sounds more like something on the mb.  I'll google it.. I suggest you do the same.

knqbbydelmar

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:58 AM »
oh and the system i'm using is very similar, i've got a intel pentium 4 3.0ghz, 1gig DDRam, ati radeon 5660se 128mb, and a p5 mobo with pci and agp slots, AND im using a 17" LG LCD as well. only difference from the one i built for my friend is that the mobo maker is different, hers is msi and mines asus (and she's got 1gig DDRam extra, .2ghz faster, and 128mb more on the vidcard..... *censored*! lol).