Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton AntiVirus 2005  (Read 3899 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Norton AntiVirus 2005
    « on: March 11, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »
    OK. I did another system scan, because I accidentally picked the wrong downloaded installer and reinstalled that WSN and WhenU viruses. Of course, Norton found them, but instead of going to the wizard where I can repair, quarantine, delete, etc. it just goes to the summary, and won't let me try to delete it! Now, I am savvy enough with the Command Prompt to delete these myself, but is there a way to MAKE it start the wizard, bar going into Safe Mode?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Norton AntiVirus 2005
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:36:11 PM »
    I'm using NAV 2002, with a current subscription to virus definition updates.  Maybe my comments do not apply to your version.  If my NAV quarantines a virus, I can delete it by opening NAV, selecting Reports, and clicking on View Report, next to Quarantined items.  

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »
      What I mean is, it won't even try. NAV is supposed to have these steps:

Scan
      Fix
      Quarantine
      Delete
      Summary

Well, it skips the fix, quarantine and delete and just goes right to the summary. No way to go back, and the only buttons to push are "finished" and "cancel", unless I look at details of the virus, and upon seeing that I can go into Command Prompt and delete it manually (usually). But that's not how it's supposed to work. And I know it's not quarantining because my quarantine is empty. And normally if the delete doesn't work it says "delete failed" or something like that. But it's not even trying.

Ted2

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:21:46 AM »
        I have the same problem with 2005 too. I have not found a virus yet, but i have found an "At risk" program, and i don't even get the option to delete or anything, all i get is a summary of the scan then thats it...
        I've learned to just ignore it, atleast i know what program it is thats at risk... still it shouldn't happen, wonder if it's only 2005...

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:16:20 AM »
          I know my previous version (2004) allowed me to at least SEE the delete screen, but it always failed. Back then I didn't understand that Quarantine would help, so I never did. And that's why I ended up getting a new system. :D

Ted2

Intermediate
            « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:38:06 AM »
            Lol, yeah. I've done my fair share of stupid things in the past, i did not realise how important it was to keep subscribed and updated to your firewall and AV :-X
            Still at least i have learned from my lesson.
            I'm about to go buy Norton2006 right now... I would prefer to switch to anouther AV, but a couple of people on here have said it's not too easy swiching from one company to anouther.. so i might aswel stick to Norton
            I'll let you know if 2006 still does the same thing as 2005 with the scans later on
            « Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:39:11 AM by Ted2 »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 08:17:10 AM »
              OK. Keep me updated. ;D

Ted2

Intermediate
                « Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 01:04:32 PM »
                I don't know if 2006 does not delete the files as same way as 2005 becuase i deleted mine manualy insted, sorry.
                Heres a screen shot insted.. :P

It's got a couple of extras like Security Inspector, Outbreak alert that aparently detects rapidly spreading threats, and it's own little Anti-spyware... neiter have found anything yet...
                Oh yeah!, and more annoying pop up alerts!... Apart from that it's all the same i think. :)
                « Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 01:12:41 PM by Ted2 »