Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data on CD lost using drag-to-disc! Please Help!!  (Read 3111 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Data on CD lost using drag-to-disc! Please Help!!
    « on: March 15, 2006, 11:48:57 PM »
    Hi!

Can You Help Me!??

I have just lost 90% of files I had on a CD when the final session I tried to add went wrong. I just use drag-to-disc in XP, never had a problem before and all previous files on this disc were written using the same method. I believe this file may have been too large for the remaining space on the disc; when I tried to put a tenth Winzip file on the disc, now another eight files have mysteriously vanished from the disc! I cannot see the file names at all. The disc isnt a rewritable.

What has happened and is there any way at all to recover the information? I have been working on this data for eight months and to lose it all in one hit like this is devastating; it includes written works I will never be able to replace.

I have tried searching, exploring, opening etc to no avail.

please, if you can help me I am most grateful!

:-?  :-?  :-?  :-?  :-?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Data on CD lost using drag-to-disc! Please Hel
      « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:23:35 AM »
       chad.....  I have read your post over and over and am not clear on the problem.....   You said.......
      I have just lost 90% of files I had on a CD when the final session I tried to add went wrong.
       So If I read you ......all of the files were burnt onto a cd ...and somehow you lost 90% of them......??????   Then you say......
      when I tried to put a tenth Winzip file on the disc, now another eight files have mysteriously vanished from the disc! I cannot see the file names at all. The disc isnt a rewritable.
        ...... Would it be safe to say that you thought you were using a cd-rw when it was really a cd-r.  

Please clarify your post

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Woo Woo
        « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:40:31 AM »
        Hi

No, I knew I was using a CR-R, and the CD is a CD-R. I had burnt the files to the CD one at a time over several months, they were supposedly there permamently on a CD-R but since I recieved this error message in XP, I havent had access or been able to even see these files listed on the disc. I still have access to the first ever file written, but not the next 8 files. How has the ability to access these files changed, on a CD-R?

does this clarify? I have tried Isobuster as well, it can't even read the data, it simply stops responding.

chad  :-?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:17:43 AM »
          Chad....sorry to be so long getting back ...but I was just trying to recreate your issue ...... I just burnt some data onto a cd-r then added another folder and burnt that and did that until the cd was almost full and then the last one put it over the top ........ Nero told me that the file size was too large ......
          Were all your files zipped ?

dl65  ::)
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 05:27:51 AM »
          What burning software were you using? You may be able to recover data using a "session viewer".
          If that fails, Jufsofts [highlight]BadCopy Pro[/highlight] is a very useful tool for retrieving data from corrupted CDs.

realrox

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »
          i'm assuming that since you use the term drag-to-disk that you are using roxio software. have you tried using their scandisk utility?
          once in a while a problem could also be because the cd writer is going bad or windows is having a problem reading the drive.  if it's an external drive, you could try removing it, rebooting, rebooting again and then adding it back. sometimes after using a different drive, reseating it,  or using a different computer lets you then retrieve the files. even removing & re-installing the software or using a different program to burn cd's will give you access to the files.i recommend that if you can get to the files at all, copy them off the disk & put them somewhere else, preferable not with drag to disk. burn them permanently to a new cd.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »
          can the command prompt see the files?
          (hit start>run>type in "cmd" and hit enter>type in "cd D:\"(where D is your CD-rom drive)>type in "dir"