Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Restarting  (Read 5169 times)

IncredibleBulk

Windows XP Restarting
« on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:17 AM »
Whenever I open a file over a network, my windows xp pro machine restarts as soon as I close that file. It only happens with network files, local files are no problem. As soon as I click the x to close, the screen goes blank and then the boot sequence begins. Any ideas.....

Backdated

Re: Windows XP Restarting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:37:57 AM »
Enter shutdown -a in the Start>Run box to disable auto shutdown on error.
Does the Event Viewer shed any light?

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:43:16 AM »
The event viewer has nothing. I turned off automatic restart on system failure and it gave me a blue screen instead. The error was "Process has locked pages"...

IT-Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »
Hmm.. All I can think of off the top of my head is that you are missing a temp directory where it would be able to save the file to.  But i'll keep looking...  I'm interested to know what is causing this one...

Also.. could you tell us a bit more details.. ie. what type file are you opening.. or does it vary?  And what type of network setup do you have?  what OS is on the network share?  Are you doing anything more than opening and closing the files?

thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:55:09 AM by IT-Guy »

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 12:32:33 PM »
Well, it doesn't seem to matter what type of file it is, have tried it with Access Databases, text files, batch files and even all types of picture files. Have tried opening files on Windows 98, 2000 server and XP. Have even tried opening a local file through the computer name, i.e. typed \\pcname\c\file.txt into explorer on the local computer and it still crashed as soon as I closed it. But the same file opens and closes fine by typing in c:\file.txt.
The network setup is just standard windows xp pro settings, all that I have set is a static ip address. (but problem still occurs with dynamic ip). Have reinstalled the network card and even installed a brand new one with no success.
Doesn't matter if I edit the file or not, it always crashes as soon as I close it.
Hope that clears things up....!!!

IT-Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:40:56 PM »
Yep.. sounds like Explorer is the problem... But you can browse the file structure just fine?  As long as you don't actually open a file?  Have you tried just using explorer and closing explorer without opening anything?

Here Try This (It's XP SP2 in a downloadable file)  this may correct your issues.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:56:33 PM by IT-Guy »

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
The error was "Process has locked pages"...
We need the full error message exactly as it appears. Firewall details etc would also be helpful.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:03:47 PM by Backdated »

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »
OK, just tried to browse the network with explorer and can open any folder on any share across alll the different system types and it works fine. No crash when I close explorer. Only causes a problem when a file is opened and closed. I ran several programs(MsAccess, an accounts package etc.) that open access databases accross a network. (Don't think that accounts package relies on explorer to run) But as soon as they close and therefore the files they opened across the network are closed, the system crashes.
We have our own VB program which also opens access databases across our network and the log files for that show the last thing it tried to do before system crash was close the database.
This is one of the strangest little bugs I've ever come across....!!!

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 07:52:03 AM »
I've attached a screen shot of the error message. This error happens with or without firewalls....

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 03:56:59 PM »
It's a bad driver and the following will help track that driver down (2K, XP and 2K3 only):

Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
Make a new DWord Value and name it:
TrackLockedPages
Set it's value to:
Reboot.
Now retry and post any error message in full. You should now get something along the lines of DRIVER (Name)_LEFT_LOCKED_PAGES.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:57:32 PM by Backdated »

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 05:54:35 AM »
The driver files is "rdbss.sys"....

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 07:15:14 AM »
A supported fix is available from Microsoft, but they say it needs additional testing before general release. If you aren't badly affected, it's recommended that you wait for Win2K SP5 - WinXP SP2 supposedly already contains a fix.
If you need an immediate resolution, you'll need to contact Microsoft Product Support Services.
Two files will need replacing - mrxsmb.sys and rdbss.sys.

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 11:20:03 AM »
Have just installed service pack 2 and the problem has not gone away.......

Backdated

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 11:28:52 AM »
I wasn't overly confident that it would as Microsoft don't seem to know too much about this. Have you visited Microsoft Update to see if any of the updates cure it?
I can supply you with the two files from a fully patched system if you'd like to try that. Otherwise, all you can do is contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

IncredibleBulk

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 04:49:39 AM »
Could you send me on those files please...one last thing to try before contacting Microsoft....