Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NetBIOS/File Sharing over the Internet  (Read 1979 times)

Xeratul

Topic Starter
  • 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
  • Experience: Familiar
NetBIOS/File Sharing over the Internet
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:52:02 PM »
I understand the dangers of File and Printer Sharing over the internet. Especially shares that are not password protected.
However is it possible to connect to remote machines \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Games over the internet not just on LANs?

I have a friend that lives in another state, and we want to share files with netbios.

He has all the resources shared, but I can't seem to connect to any resources outside of my lan.

Backdated

Re: NetBIOS/File Sharing over the Internet
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »
If you want to share files, set up a VPN or an FTP server. There are even very simple HTTP server interfaces avilable such as WWWFileshare Pro (I use this as an example but it has many vulnerabilities, hence no link).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:20:39 PM »
I'd echo Backdated.  You CAN use NetBIOS/SMB shares over the internet, but ONLY do it via VPN.

In practice, latency makes NetBIOS over VPN rather unsatisfactory, even over broadband, so FTP is probably your better choice.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Xeratul

Topic Starter
  • 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »
Ok, thanks. :D I haven't heard of a VPN before this. Going to have to do some research. :)

Before robpomeroy confirmed that you can use NetBIOS shares over the internet I was beginning to wonder. I wasn't finding any sites telling how to use them over the internet, only sites saying how to protect your self and the dangers of File and Printer Sharing.

Sidenote: Even though I'm not going to use NetBIOS, I heard that you could only password shares in Professional Edition. Do they have tools or something of the like that would allow a Home Edition user to protect their shares?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 11:06:28 PM by Wraith112 »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:02:45 AM »
You can password protect shared folders on all versions of Windows from 95 onwards.  It's just that the level of security is rather poor in most versions.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 03:08:32 AM »
You could each get yourself [highlight]an FTP server[/highlight], [highlight]an FTP client[/highlight] and a dynamic DNS service such as [highlight]No-IP[/highlight] (Not necessary if you both have static IPs).
All of this can be done at no cost and files can be securely shared with transfer speeds limited only by each others upload speed.

I run an FTP server using Serv-U and No-IP without problem. My clients are able to download from me at 30K.