Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wlan security  (Read 2762 times)

tedder

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    wlan security
    « on: March 17, 2006, 12:30:53 AM »
    G'day folks,  I have a wlan runing on two lap tops with a desk top on cable from a Dlink 604T router.I was a bit concerned with security WPA seems too complicated.. So I intend to try wiflzone. Now!, which pc is it best to be put on  and are there any probs with it. Among  all you wise men out there can anybody advise?.  Terry  ::)
    We are all individuals...always question

SunflowerNetwork

Re: wlan security
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:48:56 AM »
    hi Terry --

I agree that WPA is rather complex. I am not familiar with wiflzone (sp?), but I have configured a number of wireless networks for WEP security, which is perfectly satisfactory for 99% of home networks.

Basically, you just have to set up the WEP encryption key on the router (using the Router's config application), and configure the laptops to use the same key. The hardest part of this is making sure you type in the hex code properly on the laptops!

Let me know if you want help walking through this.

thanks
    AJ  
    Sunflower Network
    Friendly help for your computer problems. Instantly.
    www.sunflowernetwork.com

Backdated

Re: wlan security
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:10:50 PM »
    WEP couldn't be simpler and unless you're transferring sensitive data around your network, it's ample for home use.
    Any 3rd party programs are likely to be more complex than WPA if they're worth their salt.
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:11:28 PM by Backdated »