Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Locked Topics.  (Read 4144 times)

Fed

Topic Starter

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Locked Topics.
    « on: March 18, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »
    Why are these 'Other' forum topics locked?
    Has someone broken the rules?
    What's going on Flame, why did you lock them?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Locked Topics.
    « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »
    Some of them yes. Which ones are you talking about though?

If you mean the two from Janie Ryan, they are double posts. The others have been resolved and have almost no use. Do you have something to add? I can always unlock them lol

Flame
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:54:58 PM by flame »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:37:05 PM »
    I am not into locking a topic, personally. If the use has ended, it will just dry up and go away, along with bigpinkape.  ;)

Fed

Topic Starter

• Sage
      « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:01:32 PM »
      The same goes for double topic posts, the new comers are quickly advised of the problem and I see no need to penalise them by locking their threads.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:07:26 PM »
      Does that really penalize them you think?  :-/  Oh well. This means less work that I have to worry about lol  I'm glad that teh Chris matthews topic was locked though  :P  

Flame

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:38:10 PM »
        Yeah, no offense to the OP (can't remember who it was ATM) but that was a little pointless. However, Fed has a point: Threads which need to die will die. It's the way of forums. When a thread is ready to see its final resting place, people just stop replying. Then it slowly disappears. The end. 8-)

"YOU must learn the ways of the Forum. But beware of the Spam Side"
        -Me in a Star Wars forum
        « Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:39:09 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

R0SS

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 07:45:08 AM »
        Star Wars forum

Not cool ;D ;D ;D ;D

R0SS

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 04:03:22 PM »
          Oh, hush. ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:12:10 PM »
          lol Nice image too Dilbert  ;)  It's so true  ;D

Flame

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 12:19:30 AM »
          Yeah, no offense to the OP (can't remember who it was ATM) but that was a little pointless.

It was me that started it and although it may not have appeared so, that thread had a definite and serious purpose. That purpose was fulfilled and the thread can now be deleted. I did mean to ask our new mod to do this if all who contributed to that thread didn't mind having their contributions removed also.

I don't know how others feel about their post count tallies but personally, I don't give a hoot about how many posts I've made.
          So, if a mod or admin wants to remove anything that I've posted, feel free to get your scissors out and start snipping! :o
          Oi! Stop it! Snipping posts I meant! ;D
          « Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:51:23 AM by Backdated »

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »
            Yeah, no offense to the OP (can't remember who it was ATM) but that was a little pointless.

It was me that started it and although it may not have appeared so, that thread had a definite and serious purpose. That purpose was fulfilled and the thread can now be deleted. I did mean to ask our new mod to do this if no-one minded.

Heh. I guess dealing with spammers made my patience for fun a little too thin. I would retract what I said earlier except that it's a little moot; the thread's closed. :)

lol Nice image too Dilbert    It's so true  

There's also this:

You can make your own erro rmessages here. ;D

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 12:49:21 AM »
            The same goes for double topic posts, the new comers are quickly advised of the problem and I see no need to penalise them by locking their threads.

I do see the need to remove/lock/archive multiple posts. If they are both/all allowed to remain, it can make the subject very difficult to follow. If an OPs problem is a particularly difficult one with many possible responses, keeping track of things can be a nightmare for all concerned. Because of that, mistakes can be made and the wrong advice offered by a "helper" or the right advice misunderstood by a "requestee" because of the confusion.
            It's not a case of penalising newbies; it's a case of helping them to help us to help them if you see what I mean. ;D

For similar reasons, thread hijacking should be frowned upon as it can become very disruptive and confusing for everyone concerned.

I still mod on a couple of forums and we have the ability to split, join and start fresh threads etc without losing any content. I don't know if that's possible with the YABB implementation or perhaps more importantly, if mods and admins want that responsibility/extra workload.
            It may necessitate the addition of a "patching" or "temp" forum with mod/admin only accessibility if desired. Such a forum negates the possibility of accidents happening and material being lost.
            If any "hidden forums" are formed for these sort of purposes, I know from bitter experience that it's very wise to let it be publicly known that they exist from time to time!

All of this makes for a tidier forum with easier to follow threads for everyone.
            As long as there is good reason for intervention and that reason is given in the thread by the mod/admin concerned, I see no problem whatsoever with it.

Backdated

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 01:10:53 AM »
            While we're on the subject of tidy forums and having thought about this a little, I'm pretty convinced that the facility of a user being able to delete his own posts should be completely disabled or at least, should only be made available within a very short timespan and only then if no subsequent posts follow.

I see no evidence of any need for it whatsoever and looking at some of the forums that Mac or whoever he was contributed and then "decontributed" to, I see every need for a suspension of this function.

Please don't think I'm being pushy or have any agendas or aspirations or whatever - I most certainly don't. I just think that we as users should put our ideas forward occasionally, particularly if we think that an improvement may be gained. I think that as a relatively new user who is not without experience in other similar realms may bring a little objectivity to the table.
            After all, isn't that what forums are all about?

Fed

Topic Starter

• Sage
              « Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 01:36:14 AM »
              Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2006, 2:01pm
              Double topics started (2), both threads locked (2). Give me a break, what's the point? >:(
              I thought we came here to help people too.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 01:41:16 AM »
              I thought we came here to help people too.
              You thought wrong.  We are a figment of your imagination.  The sole reason the rest of us programming constructs come here is so that the people who are experimenting on you can measure your brainwaves.

Heh.

Long night...
              Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Fed

Topic Starter

• Sage
                « Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 02:02:05 AM »
                ROTFLMAO! Good one Rob!  ;D

Backdated

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:01 AM »
                .... penalise them by locking their threads. :o

Is this some new form of US crime punishment; perhaps akin to Middle Eastern traditions of removing hands where theft has been proven?
                If so, under what circumstances is this sentence meted out? Is it painful? Can the operation be reversed if say, a wrongful conviction has occurred?
                 ;D
                « Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:12:53 AM by Backdated »

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »
                  That's nothing. I'm a figment of my OWN imagination!