Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Wireless Router?  (Read 2382 times)

DCB

Best Wireless Router?
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:57:28 AM »
I'm by no means a novice on most computer topics, but I readily admit to having zero knowledge of networking. I recently added a second pc to our household and wish to set up a simple wireless network to share our DSL connection. The problem is deciding which router to buy; I usually read product reviews written by other consumers to help in my purchasing of hardware, but I see a lot of negative comments about every wireless router I research. I'm sure a 54 Mbps unit will suffice; I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I am almost to the point that I want to climb in the attic, run network cable and just forget the wireless option. Almost... :-?

tedder

Intermediate
    Re: Best Wireless Router?
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:02:02 AM »
    G'day  Ive just set a wireless network up.well...installed a D-link G604T which seems to do the job well. I haven't managed the security aspect yet but that will come. Not sure if this will help,but good luck. ;D
    We are all individuals...always question

PH426

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:09 AM »
    Hi Guys,

I'm in the UK and have just done a CCNA and a Masters in Information Security, I'm not by any means an expert but, wirless routers are all about the same, I use a mixture of wireless routers at home and at my offices, but one thingto consider, is security, using it for browsing is one thing and another thing completely is for making on line purchases and on line banking.... much safer to use a hard wired router connection, unless you tun on the security option, but even with security there are free downloads which you can literally sit outside someones house and watch their every move. I also use a d-link and voyager's for the majority of my applications, because cisco ones are just to involved for simple installations..

Armando

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:45 AM »
      Not sure if this is the router, but I use:

Instant Wireless-B PCI Adapter

tedder

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 07:40:58 AM »
        I run 2 laptops on wireless and desktop on wire from the router. I only use the desk top for anything sensitive.  8-)
        We are all individuals...always question

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 07:53:16 AM »
        Netgear and Linksys are supposedly teh best routers where I am  ;)

Flame

DCB

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »
        Thanks for the input. I do pay a number of my bills on-line, so the point made by PH426 causes me some concern. Is it possible to detect unauthorized intrusion into one's wireless network? Again, I have no experience in this area...

PH426

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »
        Yes it is a number of ways are avaliable from network monitor programs or to just have a look at what MAC addreses have been stored on a router, and if you don't recognise them, then block them.

But I wouldn't let that concern you, the simpliest ways to protect yourself from most things, is to see what firewalls your ISP provides, firewall on the router itself, get some firewall stuff on your PC and to enable encryption on your router, even something simple like ASCII, don't worry there will be a guide with your router on how to enable this, very easy, and if your really paranoid, you could even enable a few other options and only allow the MAC addresses of the PC's you want to use...  

Lists are endless... But just be careful if you are intending to move sensitive data, then take extra steps, its no hard ship to plug a laptop into a hard wired position for a while...

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
          « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
          The best wireless routers are ones that help stealth your computer from unwanted intrusions. There are upwards of 1000 ways to access your computer, on it's various ports, as I found out. I use a Linksys, and all except one are stealthed, and that one is blocked. Just in case people get past that, I have Norton configured to block that port as well. :)
          "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
          If you really want to be safe wtih bills and such, pay them from a wired computer. This way it's less likely  that your information will be intercepted.

Flame