Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D drive not updating w/new discs inserted  (Read 2189 times)

ironwolf56

D drive not updating w/new discs inserted
« on: March 19, 2006, 03:34:58 PM »
My D drive is a DVD RW drive that came in my Gateway 505 GR.  A while ago it stopped "updating" when I'd put a new disk in.  What I mean is it spins up as it should but the D icon doesn't change; now I can right-click and "open" to explore the new disk, but for many games with copy protection this doesn't work well enough.  If I reboot the computer with the disk in the D drive it will update then, however that's the only time it will.  Sorry if this sounds confusing :)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: D drive not updating w/new discs inserted
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »
Which operating system are you using? When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently? Have you tried updating teh drivers for the CD Drive?

Flame

ironwolf56

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:43:07 PM »
Which operating system are you using? When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently? Have you tried updating teh drivers for the CD Drive?

Flame

Windows XP Personal.  I'm not sure when it started; it's been a bit but I've also been busy lately.  About the only changes, besides installing a few games, is I a few weeks ago had to repair my system piece by piece after a nasty spyware bout; I think it might be linked to that.  I'll try the drivers, and give an update.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
About the only changes, besides installing a few games, is I a few weeks ago had to repair my system piece by piece after a nasty spyware bout; I think it might be linked to that.

And are you sure you are all over that? Did you do it in safe mode with system restore off?  

Have a read:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

ironwolf56

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »
About the only changes, besides installing a few games, is I a few weeks ago had to repair my system piece by piece after a nasty spyware bout; I think it might be linked to that.

And are you sure you are all over that? Did you do it in safe mode with system restore off?  

Have a read:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

Yes I'm all over it.  It took some time and finesse but all the spyware is gone.