Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web on Server 2003: question  (Read 5229 times)

fatali

Web on Server 2003: question
« on: April 02, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »
Alright here it goes.  I have a trial for Server 2003 installed on a system I'm going to use as a server. On this server, I have enabled the web services and copied my website files to the wwwroot directory. Alas, I am unable to access the site from another computer.  At the moment, the server is not connected to the internet because I have dial up but am getting boadband later this week. My computers are connected via a linksys router switch and I have enabled port forwarding to send all HTTP requests to the 'server', which has a static address.  I can access files on my server from this computer, I use Remote Desktop to access the sever.  

Any ideas as to why I am unable to get the the web page when going to the servers IP address (with and without the port number after the IP address)?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Web on Server 2003: question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:28:26 AM »
I'm afraid that some routers simply won't let you do this.  Switch port forwarding off on the router to test this.  Then in the browser on your computer, enter in the address: 'http://192.168.1.79' - or whatever the IP address is for your server on the LAN.  You may find that you can now see the web server.

Report back?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fatali

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:12:36 AM »
Sorry for the delay in my response, things keeping me busy.

Anyway, I went in and tried it without the port forwarding and it worked, then I turned it back on and it still worked. I don't know why. *shrugs*  

In the end though, I decided to us WAMP instead of IIS, for me it's easier to configure.  Thanks for the response though, I wanted to be able to do it in IIS incase I need to later on.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
I decided to us WAMP instead of IIS
Good choice!  :)  In this case, is your 'P' PHP, Perl or Python?

fatali

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:09:05 AM »
Nothing yet, lol. I'm don't have any skill in any computer language except some HTML and some Flash Scripts. lol.   When I have time (Right now working on getting my CCNA and Net+ certs) I'll look into each one and make a choice.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:08:01 AM »
Tried 'em all.  They excel in different areas, but for web design, database connectivity and ease of use, I favour PHP.