Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: question about upgrading my computer, pls help  (Read 1803 times)

david559gamer

question about upgrading my computer, pls help
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »
Dont know too much about upgrading computers, so I came here

I have this computer
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00385631&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It has integrated graphics

i was wondering if I can upgrade that and the memory, with a PCI graphics card, and 2 sticks of 1 gb memory?

thanks a lot

and if i can use a pci graphics card, how will that work? will the integrated graphics just not be used anymore, and the card will take over, or what

thank u very much

GX1_Man

Re: question about upgrading my computer, pls help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:44:25 PM »
What are you wanting to do, that you are not able to do now? Extreme gaming seems the only thing this machine cannot do.

Without an AGP card port, you are limited to a PCI card or the onboard video. When this card is added,the onboard video will be disabled, or you may need to turn it off in the BIOS.

It looks like it came with a gig of RAM installed. More will probably not be helpful for usual computer tasks, but you could add more as you mentioned, assuming it is the correct kind.

It's amazing that a high end machine does not have an AGP or PCIe slot. What onboard graphics is in there? You can right click on Display Adapter in Control Panel/System/Device Manager to see. I am not sure a PCI card will out do onboard AGP.

david559gamer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »
slightly better gaming

But i want to be able to run photoshop, illustrator,flash, and dream weaver, 2 maybe evn 3 of those at a time

along with my messengers and firewall, anti virus ect...

right now I get slow down with that.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:07:54 PM »
You can't do better than that with all of that hardware? Oh well, that's XP for you. I've got a PIII with 256 RAM that does all of that just fine, except for the extreme gaming and it has a whopping 256 RAM but has Windows 2000.   ;D

Again, I don't think ANY PCI card you add will do better than onboard AGP with the same amount of RAM, but I guess you can try.