Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Question, Please help!  (Read 2585 times)

trisma

Video Card Question, Please help!
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:49:22 PM »
I just recently bought Black & White 2, but I need a video card that supports pixel shader v 1.1  I am also not sure If I have PCI or AGP slots.

My computer is:
hp pavilion a345w
intel 4  2590 mhz
1024 mb
windows xp home

I know that the ati radeon 8500 as well as others support pixel shader v 1.1, but I want to make sure it will work in my computer.

Thanks for the help

fatali

Re: Video Card Question, Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:17:58 PM »
if this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=383638&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07845  is indeed the Motherboard that is in your system (and I think it is) then you only have PCI slots.  I think most consumer non-special order computers that come premade only have PCI because they have onboard video.

stallybanz

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »
most PCI video cards are not 3D accelerated, unlike AGP video cards, theres still a big difference between the two most especially when it comes to gaming, if it is a built in video, you might experience a problem playing the game,

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »
I think most consumer non-special order computers that come premade only have PCI because they have onboard video.
I believe it's not accurate to say "most" consumer computers have no AGP or PCI Express slots.  Many computers with onboard video do have an AGP slot.  I have a friend who had a Compaq desktop computer - one at the low of the price spectrum - that came from the factory configured to use onboard video.  However, it had an AGP slot and I helped him install an AGP video card.  I also had an ECS K7SEM motherboard a few years ago that had onboard video but also had an AGP slot.  I initially used it with onboard video but later installed an AGP card.

But, in this case, trisma's motherboard only has PCI slots, as shown by the link you posted.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 11:10:14 PM by soybean »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:07:39 PM »
most PCI video cards are not 3D accelerated
I believe the fact of the matter is that practically all video cards on the market in the last few years, whether AGP, PCI, or PCI Express, have 3D acceleration.

trisma

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the help,  So there is a nvidia geforce fx 5500 128 mb PCI card at wal mart for 69.99.  Should I buy it, or is it pointless to try to play the game on my computer.  Or will the game not work at all?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:06:14 AM »
I'm not a gamer, so I can't say whether or how well the game would work with that card.  I discovered a forum devoted to Black & White 2.  If I were you, I would post my question over there.  

By the way, if you've ever thought about running two monitors with your computer, you might be interested in this: PNY Verto GeForce FX 5500 / 128MB DDR / PCI / Dual VGA / TV Out / Video Card.  

Also, here's a GeForce FX 5500 for $49.99 from TigerDirect.  No sales tax but shipping fee would be added.  Would still be $10, maybe $15 or so less than from Walmar.  Note that this card only has a DVI connector.  So, if you need a VGA connector, you would need a DVI to VGA adapter with this card.  

Edit: Correction.  The  GeForce FX 5500 for $49.99 from TigerDirect comes with a DVI to VGA adapter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 10:28:02 AM by soybean »