Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP, HArd Drive switch to new hp question.  (Read 2257 times)

Daedrick

HP, HArd Drive switch to new hp question.
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:13:20 PM »
Ok. I had an old hp computer with a huge hard drive.
I recently got a new hp computer and installed my hard drive as the primary instead of the pre installed one. <Old hard drive owns new one.>
The comp boots up ok, but when it starts up xp it bugs out and restarts or sends me to the windows dos prompt.
I called hp and they were charging an outrageous price to help me, but they said that it was not too hard.
This makes me think I can do it manually.
Anyone had this problem bvefore that can guide me through.
Thanks

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: HP, HArd Drive switch to new hp question.
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:20:54 PM »
    What OS does the new drive have? If you want both, did you set the new one to SLAVE?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Daedrick

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
    They are both XP. Both home edition.
    The tech person said like my old hard drive was coded for my old hp motherboard and i would havta change something to make it compatible with the new motherboard.
    Im not using my new hard drive at all, my old one is set as the primary.
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:25:31 PM by Daedrick »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:54:24 PM »
    Do you have a real Windows CD or just some restore CD? The chances are slim you will get this to work easily as it has drivers, etc. based on the machine it was installed in.

Some people have had success with a repair install, but without a real Windows CD....

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

What did they want to charge you, by the way?

Daedrick

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:59:14 PM »
    Like 35$ its silly considering i have ALL hp products, they wont help me, says its outa warranty.
    I have the repair disk for hp, not the actual windows disk. And thats why I cant get windows tech support from microsoft =(
    Ill try to repair windows from the cd, is there a easy way to do that without reformatting?
    I do not want to take the chance. I have too much on the hard drive to lose.