Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP stalling @ Windows screen  (Read 2327 times)

Bravo

XP stalling @ Windows screen
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »
I have windows XP.

When I turn on my computer it loads and it reaches this window screen (which is blue and has the windows pic) and it stops in its tracks. In XP I have it set up for user settings. So when I log on I can click on my name and put my password in and I get into all the files I need.

The problem is that it is stopping before it pops up the users and all I see is this blue screen.

I tried installing my operating system but when I turn my computer on with that disc it does the same exact thing and won't load it.

Help please!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: XP stalling @ Windows screen
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
In order to reinstall your operating system you need to ensure that your BIOS is set up to boot from the CDROM, rather than from the hard drive.  There will usually be a little message when you power on telling you how to enter the BIOS/Setup - e.g. by hitting delete or F1.

Somewhere in the BIOS you will find an option for "boot devices" - follow the instructions to put the CDROM as the first boot device.  You can then boot from your installation CD.  Remember to put things back the way they were, once you're done.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Bravo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 08:35:15 AM »
Thanks!

One more question!

When installing XP will that erase everything I had on my hard drive?

shoon81

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
From what i remember when i installed XP i don't think it does......
You could try Doing a repair installation of windows xp instead of a full reinstall.

Before doing this, boot up your computer and press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and see if it fetchs up the old Win2k type login box.

If this works. Login and do a system restore to a date that you can remember it working properly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:08:41 AM by shoon81 »

Ninjabyte

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 12:18:54 PM »
Ok, maybe this will help. After selecting CDROM as one of the boot-up devices, let it run and load all the drivers from the CD. From there, there will be an optin to continue installing windows or to repair with the recovery console. Select R if you know how to play with DOS else hit Enter till it checks for previously installed windows and select R to repair.

a_janderson

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 08:54:40 PM »
I have a safer solution,  instead of doing a clean install or pressing "R" to do a repair in the XP DOS recovery console.  Once you have you PC booted to the Windows setup screen press "Enter" to enter the Windows Setup and accept the License Agreement. Once Windows has searched for previous installations, select an XP installation to repair and then press "R".  This will keep you from having to work around in the DOS based recovery console.  Here is a good link if you have troubles: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
This repair will only replace your .sys files and will not harm any of the files saved in your Documents and Setting profiles.  

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
The first thing to try is Safe Mode!
Continually tap the F8 key at boot until a startup menu appears (It may take a few tries). Choose Safe Mode and let us know if it boots.

A repair or "over the top" installation will probably do nothing but waste your time if the problem is caused by virus/malware infection.