Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing the mother board  (Read 1966 times)

kevy508

Changing the mother board
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »
Hi, I own a Compaq Presario 5000 and was wondering where would be a good place to buy a mother board and if compaq would be the only ones who would have it?

TN2COOL

Re: Changing the mother board
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »
How much money you got?

I reccomend building a new computer from Newegg!  ;D

Unless of course, your strapped for cash...

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »
Generally, if it's a Compaq or HP, forget it. There are just too many anomolies when it comes to case and PSU etc.

wolfman140

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:29:40 PM »
If you're REPLACING the motherboard because of technical failures...call Compaq to see if you can buy a new one of the same model, I imagine you can.
   If you want to just get a new motherboard thats NOT Compaq, you'll have to get more than that.  I did the same thing with my Dell.  All the major companies make motherboards that only except their own power supplies, and fit their own case.  In other words, if you want a different motherboard, you need to buy another power supply and another case...and *censored*, by that point your halfway there to building a new computer practically so might as well go all the way.  The only thing thats in my computer from my old Dell is the processor.  And I plan on building a whole brand new one semi-soon.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »
You'll pay much more for that replacement board through Compaq than a real one would cost. yoou could probably get a case AND board. But let us know what the estimate is. ;)