Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Reboots gives video device driver error  (Read 8322 times)

Stark_Mad

Re: XP Reboots gives video device driver error
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »
Well, I installed AVG after the problem started.  I had NOD32 only before.
I will uninstall AVG tonight but I'm still wondering, is it 'ok' to turn off NOD before installing the new driver?  Do I have to uninstall it also and then reinstall?

Backdated

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »
It's quite safe to disable real time AV protection temporarily. In fact, when installing programs etc, it should be disabled. That is of course as long as the programs are from a trusted source or certified clean.
There's no need to uninstall NOD32, you just need to suspend "AMon". To close it, open the NOD32 Control Panel, select "Resident Modules And Filters" and select "Amon". Click on it and press "Stop".
A reboot will be required in this case and your protection will be reinstated. Where a reboot isn't necessary, ensure that you re-enable your protection when finished.

Stark_Mad

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 08:52:52 PM »
Thanks so much for your help!

I think it solved the problem, at least it hasn't crashed for hours.  And the things I could do that made it crash haven't made it crash yet.  I'm crossing my fingers.

I have 2 problems though in that there is a big yellow exclamation point over 2 devices in my hardware list.  "Ethernet Controller" and "SM Bus Controller"
Under Ethernet Controller details it says PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0066&SUBSYS_904D1509&REV_A1\3&13C0B0C5&0&20

Under SM Bus Controller it says
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0064&SUBSYS_904D1509&REV_A2\3&13C0B0C5&0&09

How do I find and install the drivers for these devices?

Thanks again.

Backdated

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 03:29:30 AM »
I'm assuming an onboard NIC here. Do you have a motherboard companion CD? If not, we'll need to identify the motherboard. Download and run [highlight]Aida32[/highlight] and post your motherboard make/model/revision here.

Stark_Mad

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 08:52:44 AM »
I actually took some initiative last night.  I googled the problem and got some answers.  I looked up finding the motherboard manufacturer and downloaded and used 'SANDRA' and found my manufacturer.  It was 'First International Computer Inc.'  I looked up just the necessary drivers for the 2 items I needed.  Downloaded them and installed.  The items were identified and the drivers were installed.  Everything seems to be working just fine.  Did I do it right?  

Again, Thank you so, so much for your help.  I'm sure you saved me a load of cash and I very much appreciate it.

Is there a forum, or some other list, of tips and hints to get my system running the optimal way and avoiding these sorts of problems in the first place?

Again, I can't thank you enough.

Backdated

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 09:34:12 AM »
You did right and it's good that you took the initiative. You're already halfway to managing your system correctly by doing so.

Yes, there are forums dedicated to this sort of thing and you have found them. Any questions, just fire away!

Where security is concerned, have a look at [highlight]this post[/highlight].

Where optimal running is concerned, remove anything you don't use via the Add/Remove Programs applet and don't forget the Windows section.
Have a close look at any large program installations such as Office and uninstall any unused features.
Keep temp folders and temp internet folders as clean as possible.
Make regular backups of your personal data.

As for all that saved cash, donations can be made to......... ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:35:21 AM by Backdated »