Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newbie with monitor Problems  (Read 2247 times)

dmouse

Newbie with monitor Problems
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:33:11 PM »
Hi There,

My monitor gets a black blank screen with "out of range" error message, but only when I play 3 of my games. I can play the trail versions off of some websites, but cannot play the same games off of other websites. I bought the full games which are now causing this problem. I know the easy answer is don't play the games, but if there is a way to fix this I would love to know. When I get the blank screen and the " out of range" message I cannot get to my controlls so I have to try " escape" or Alt, Tab failing that I need to use  " Alt,Control, Delete" as this is the only way I can get a picture back.sometimes that doesn't work so I have to switch the computer off from the wall socket which I hate to do. I have re-set the monitors colour and resolution lower, but that didn't help.
Sorry it's long winded
Dmouse

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Newbie with monitor Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:18:57 PM »
Your monitor can't cope with the resolution settings that the games are asking of it.  DO those games have a configuration program?  If so, you may be able to lower the resolution before you play.  If not, you'll probably get better results with a newer monitor.  Did you check the game specs?  Do they require a minimum resolution?  DOes your monitor support that resolution?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Wampus

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »
 >:(I'm very frustrated. For some reason, I cannot get an rpm package to extract where I tell it to. I keep getting this message:

"Could not open "XFCom_i810-1.2-3.i386.rpm"

Archive type not supported."

I'm running ubuntu linux on a Dell Optiplex GX150. The package I'm trying to open (no matter how or where I download it from) is the intel 815E video driver. I need it because ubuntu cannot resize my desktop to any lager than 640X480p @60Hz!  Please help! I can't see everything on screen, and I did this before, even if it is not working now :(

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »
Wampus, please start a new thread in the correct forum (Linux, in this case) rather than hijacking this thread.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos