Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not Reading CD-RW Drive After New HD Installed  (Read 2728 times)

JackO

Not Reading CD-RW Drive After New HD Installed
« on: March 26, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »
eTower 667ix, 10GB HD reformatted.  Backed up two ways before reformatting, 1) copying files to 14CDs and 2) using Genie-Soft GBM-Home to backup to a new external 250GB Fantom HD.  Made floppy boot disk before formatting.  This works ok.  Gets me to Microsoft Millennium Startup Menu with the four choices.  I have the (2)OEM Windows Me Restore CDs which are bootable.  But the CD-RW drive is not being recognized.  The CD-RW drive is E:  I tried all the Help instructions with no luck.  Scandisk says ok.

Computer repair shop diagnosed: HD did not pass tests; CD-ROM (drive D) intermittant; CD-RW (drive E) and memory OK.  I installed a new 80GB internal HD.  Exact same problem as old HD.  Scandisk says Drives C & D are OK.  D: is an original cd-rom that has not worked for some months.  Scandisk does not see drive E: which the boot screen says is my CD drive.  If I type A:\>D:\setup.exe it gives "Bad command or file name"  If I type E"\>setup.exe it gives "CDR101:Not ready reading drive E.

I suspect the floppy Boot Disk has no driver for the CD-RW drive E.  My laptop has no floppy drive and the bad desktop can't read a CD.  Maybe I can use a neighbor's computer to download a driver on to a floppy. Then what should I do?

JackO

GX1_Man

Re: Not Reading CD-RW Drive After New HD Installed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »
Since you recently paid someonne to fix this and it is not fixed, I would take it right back. Since you took it there already, I am assuming any kind of repair would still be beyond you.  ;)

JackO

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 05:40:45 PM »
I got a free diagnosis from Computers 4 Rent.  They wanted $40 to install a used HD and another $40 to reinstall Me.  They said all was OK except the HD and the original CD-ROM, which I did not need with the newer CD-RW.  I got the new 80GB Samsung HD for $15 after rebates and tax from Comp USA. Thought Restore CDs would reinstall Me so I could upgrade to XP-Home.  I'm slightly better than an amature at this computer stuff but can follow directions.

Appreciate your help.

JackO

JackO

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
Forgot to mention.  I also have the OEM CD that came with the CD-RW.  It is  a HI-VAL 52x24x52 internal by New Tech Infosystems installed January, 2004.  The desktop doesn't read that CD either.  My laptop reads the Me Restore CDs OK, so they aren't bad.

JackO

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »
I am assuming the optical drives are jumpered correctly and are being seen in the BIOS?

JackO

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
The CD-RW worked fine when I backup copied files to 14 CDs and the repair shop said it was "fine".  I don't think I disturbed anything when I installed the new HD but your point is valid and I will have to look inside and see if anything doesn't look right.
Thanks.
JackO

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 07:27:57 PM »
If the other optical drive is bad, I would remove it just to eliminate one more variable.