Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flickering moniter  (Read 2973 times)

osiris782

flickering moniter
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:24:47 PM »
when i got home from work today i turned on my comp to find that my desktop had been resized in a way that it wouldent show the top right left and bottom cm of the desktop. it was just the icons and taskbar though not the background. i restarted and now everything is sized normally but the *censored* moniter keeps flickering only from the about a third of the way up the screen for an inch or so and then a band from the very top down 2 inches. i cannot figure out
a: what caused the problem because no one used the computer from me leaving for work and returning home and turning it on and
b: how to fix the *censored* thing its not a huge problem but its *censored* annoying

wolfman140

Re: flickering moniter
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
What kind of monitor is it?  CRT or LCD?  Only sections are flickering?  Sounds like the screen itself and not the video card, so thats the good news.  If its just a CRT, I'd just buy a new monitor.  LCD's are definitely on the rise and prices are falling, and you could pick up a   CRT for next to nothing.  I have TWO CRT's just sitting in my basement to get rid of at some point!

osiris782

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:58:57 AM »
its a crt moniter but the flickering only starts when the windows desktop loads it dosent happen during startup

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »
Right click on the desktop; choose properties.  Select the settings tab, then click advanced.  Go to the adapter tab.  Somewhere around there you will find an option to change the refresh rate (sorry - it varies with different graphics cards).  Try a higher speed refresh rate.  Anything around 60Hz is going to look flickery on a CRT.  Aim for 85Hz or better.  Your monitor may not support the higher rates at all colour depths and all resolutions.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

osiris782

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »
its not a whole screen flicker its in 2 sections of the moniter
|                 |    <----no flicker
|                 |
=========    <---flicker
|                 |

everything in the part that flickers jumys from the left about 8 inches to the right and i tried adjusting the Hz but it doent change anything it still flichers

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:10:32 PM »
Second Opinion ---->Bad monitor.

osiris782

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:04:04 PM »
its not the moniter i hooked it up to another computer and it works fine.im positive its the video card i just want to know how i should go about fixing it or if i should just buy another video card