Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: monitor works for bios but nothing else  (Read 1880 times)

fayward

monitor works for bios but nothing else
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:04:47 AM »
after i got the dreaded blue screen of death telling me i had a CPU speed change i changed my bios setting to manual for CPU speed and memory cash speed to 266 the system booted fine. the next day the dreaded BSOD showed up and since then my monitor only turns on and displays when viewing bios.
it will not work in normal boot up mode. there are no beeps and i am not sure that the hard drive is working, i have attached another hard drive with OS but the same thing happens. the computer is a P4 with 350W power supply and the graphics is part of the MOBO. all fans work and power supply is working as well. can any one help me?

Backdated

Re: monitor works for bios but nothing else
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:21:41 AM »
Strip out everything (Both power and data leads) except one standard keyboard, one stick of known good RAM and one known good graphics card (Preferably PCI). Set the BIOS settings to their failsafe defaults and try now.

fayward

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:11:52 AM »
will do, may take a couple of days, will let you know.
Cheers from fayward.

Suicidal_69er

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:57:08 AM »
Hi

Alternatively try downloading the Latest version of your Motherboard manufacturers BIOS and flash your bios.  The fact that your getting a display in your POST boot section and not the GUI could indicate that there is a problem with your AGP apature or video cache.  Are you using onboard Video?