Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatting hard drive  (Read 2044 times)

b-daddy54

Formatting hard drive
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »
I have an external hard drive 160 gig.  I orginally partitioned it in to 4 drives.  Now I want to repartition this drive into one drive.  I am stomped on how to do this, any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.  :-?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Formatting hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:55 PM »
    Do you have software such as PartitionMagic or a similar program? You need to do this if you want the data saved on one or more partitions.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

b-daddy54

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:39 PM »
    No, I don't have partitionmagic or a related software program.  I have transfered all of my data to my main drive.  There is nothing on the external drive that I have to save.  However, there is information that I would rather not have to transfer back to the external drive.  Is there anyway that I can save this data?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
      If you use a program similar to PartitionMagic, you can close up any partitions you like. The downside is that any partitions you close will have the data deleted.

This may help you.. Feel free to try it with any empty partitions you want assimilated. However, just to be safe, back up any important data before partitioning. :)
      « Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:29:18 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:55:42 PM »
      If you have all the data off the external drive, you can use the Disk Management tools (if Win 2000 or XP) of a Win98 boot disk (free at bootdisk.com) to delete ALL of the partitions and put back one big one, or however you want it set up. You need no extra software to do this. Then if you want to copy some data back there you can.