Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help connecting equipment  (Read 2287 times)

chrisscotland

help connecting equipment
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »
hey all i have a wireless dsl router made by netgear
similar to this : http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php
it runs from a phone line in my mums bedroom,which runs all the way through to my room and connects into it. it sends the seignal to my adapter in my computer and my sisters computer. i recently have connection interrupted problems on my side,so wat i want to know it how do i connected the wireless router to my computer without using wireless. and how do i get my internet working by doin so.

thnx

chris
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:11:13 PM by chrisscotland »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: help connecting equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »
As I understand it, you have the router in your room, which is where your computer is sitting, and you're still getting connection failure from your wireless signal.  Is that right?  And, is your sister's computer in another room, and is she getting a good signal?  That's odd; you should have a strong signal if your computer is in the same room as the router.

If the router is in your room with your computer, connecting by wire is fairly simple.  You have some ports on back of your router for cable connections, right?  And, on the back of your computer, do you  have a connector of the same type, called an RJ45 jack?  Just get a CAT5 cable and connect it to the router and to your computer.  If your computer does not already have an RJ45 jack, you'll need to install a network card, such as D-Link Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card, in a PCI slot in your computer.

chrisscotland

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 04:10:20 AM »
ok mate thanks
im actually getting excellent signal and 54mbps but its every 2 minutesi get a 2second conection interrupted. So if i just plug the two cables in it should work? how do u connect to the internet once there connected?

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 04:16:00 AM »
Try changing wireless channels first. A regular interruption such as you describe indicates a timed interference source although it may be something polling within the system.